Instructions & support for de-installing Windows 10 and re-installing it

Anonymous
2019-06-16T00:18:25+00:00

Hello,

After lots of good help from several people, we've decided that my Windows 10 is corrupted, and it's causing the following issue:

     - Entering keyboard data into a 3rd party app.  (and even into Microsoft Word sometimes) causes the 1st two characters to be NOT typed into the App.

       and need to be re-typed.

All attempts to fix this have failed.       I have made nightly backups made of all my personal data.

Can someone in the Community send me the precise set of steps I need to follow, to successfully de-install and re-install the O/S ?

And could that same person help me during the process, with any questions or problems I encounter ?

Thank you,

Gary

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2019-06-18T17:16:47+00:00

    Hi Gary

    What version of Microsoft Office did you previously have installed on your system?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-18T17:06:34+00:00

    Hello DavidM121,

    Success with the Re-Install.

    But NO OFFICE HOME EDITION.     What do I do to get it ?

    And looks like I'll be busy re-installing all my Ham Radio apps.    That's a non-trivial task.     Then I can operate the Apps. to see if those bizarre issues have been resolved.

    I'll also need to download Adobe Acrobat, WinDirStat, and other apps.

    Your quick and clear instructions have been excellent, for a good Re-Install.  

    Please stay close to me, during these next steps.   We may hit some speed bumps....

    I can see the Finish Line, but we've still got miles to go before we declare victory.

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2019-06-18T06:07:34+00:00

    Hi Gary, sorry, I was offline

    Yes, I would agree your System is corrupted . . .

    You should only delete the 3 partitions on Drive 0

    Then, when you have only 1 'Unallocated Space' on Drive 0, select that and click 'Next' to install Windows 10

    Yes, you should choose Windows 10 Home . . .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-18T01:08:36+00:00

    David,

    Got very deep into the process this time, and have some questions.

    #1)  On the original version of the O/S, I purchased this PC with Windows 7 Home Premium edition.

            So do I select "Windows 10 Home" now ?

    #2)  The Installation process asks me:  Where do I want to install Windows 10 ?

           And then from the following list......

         - Drive 0  Partition 1  System Reserved

         - Drive 0  Partition 2

         - Drive 0  Partition 3

         - Drive 1  Partition1  DBR_Boot

         - Drive 1 Partition 2  Backup-2TB

         - Drive 1 Partition 3  DBR_Boot

         .........I'm asked what do I delete from those choices ?

    Your instruction says:   FOR EACH PARTITION, SELECT DELETE.

    PLEASE CONFIRM THAT YOU WANT ME TO DELETE ALL SIX PARTITIONS ABOVE.....OR A SUB-SET ?

    That 2TB drive is where all my files are backed up.   I don't want to delete it, cuz then I'll lose everything....

    Please send me the specific next steps .....Thanks !

    Let's recall my original problems:

    **(A)**My Windows 10 O/S appears to have gremlins in it, that are causing an unacceptable App. issue.  When I enter keyboard data into my App's. data entry windows.....(something) makes the first 2 characters NOT get entered....only characters #3 and beyond are entered and appear in the App's data field.

    Corrective action is to delete the entered data, and do data entry again.   Then, ALL characters are entered.   Bizarre.

    This process has been occurring every day for many months.

    (B) Upon returning to the PC after a few hours, and entering data......the App. NEVER works.  TASK MANAGER  shows "App. Not Responding".   Then, waiting for approx. 2 minutes......the App. is "released";  it starts to use CPU cycles, and I can do data entry again....This process has been occurring every day for many months.

    MalwareBytes' senior tech. support guys have spent many hours creating and reviewing custom logs, and they are confident that their malware is NOT involved in these strange things above....

    They feel, as do experts in the Community, that my Windows 10 O/S is "corrupted."

    Do you agree ?    Are we doing the right stuff to fix these bizarre issues ?

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2019-06-17T21:42:24+00:00

    Hi Gary

    It will not be USB Floppy what needs to be top of the list'

    It will be either USB Storage or USB HDD that should be moved to top of the boot order list . . .

    No, do not disconnect your hard drive, you need that connected in order to install Windows . ..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments