Instructions & support for de-installing Windows 10 and re-installing it

Anonymous
2019-06-16T00:18:25+00:00

Hello,

After lots of good help from several people, we've decided that my Windows 10 is corrupted, and it's causing the following issue:

     - Entering keyboard data into a 3rd party app.  (and even into Microsoft Word sometimes) causes the 1st two characters to be NOT typed into the App.

       and need to be re-typed.

All attempts to fix this have failed.       I have made nightly backups made of all my personal data.

Can someone in the Community send me the precise set of steps I need to follow, to successfully de-install and re-install the O/S ?

And could that same person help me during the process, with any questions or problems I encounter ?

Thank you,

Gary

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-19T10:19:30+00:00

    Ah hah !    We've stumbled into the truth.

    What I'm trying to open is a Western Digital app. that is my access to all the backed-up files on the EHD.    These are my personal Word, Excel, etc. files & folders.  My Outlook Contacts; my Firefox Bookmarks, etc.  And also my radio "log" of communications that day.

    I do a nightly back-up.   And verified that last night's back-up was OK.

    The big OOPS is:  I didn't download the Western Digital backup software that controls the EHD.

    And the DESKTOP in the Ownership stuff is correct.  It says the file in DESKTOP (previous) is now the owner of DESKTOP (new).  

    I need to take my meds (I'm 76, in poor health) and go back to bed, to have a clear head.  Later this morning, I'll install the 3rd party EHD WD software, and try again to access my files on the EHD. 

    I'll stop the Take Ownership process.    Will ping you after the WD EHD File Explorer tests...

    Humbly,

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2019-06-19T09:46:40+00:00

    Hi Gary

    The files/folders you cannot access on that drive, can you please explain what is or should be in those and where they came from . . .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-06-19T09:41:41+00:00

    Good  morning DavidM121,

    It;s 5:30AM in NH/USA, and the "Take Ownership" utility is still running.  The software for Ownership has been running since about 8PM last night or approx. 10 hours elapsed time.

    Watching the transactions blast away on the monitor, I've noticed that the following "suffix" of each file/folder is the same, unchanging as the #'s roll:

     Gary Smetana\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\3rv0qvm.default\cache2

    And after cache 2 are a series of long hexadecimal numbers that are rolling rapidly bigger.....

    But what the heck are we doing waiting on Mozilla Firefox Profiles ?

    Are these temp browser folders, that I should have deleted before this  process began ?

    Is there an alternative way to get ownership and open this key file?

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-06-19T02:46:26+00:00

    DavidM121,

    I let the PC continue its Take Ownership" transactions, and I went away for 2 hours.

    When I came back, the PC had its desktop Log-in screen.  No other screens were visible, so I guess it did a re-start.    So I logged in, and checked File Explorer, to see if I had access to the "portal" on the 2TB EHD.

    I STILL HAVE NO ACCESS. TO THIS CRITICAL EHD ACCESS FILE.

    Not sure if the "Take Ownership" utility completed, or what....?

    I'll do the procedure one more time, and let it run all night.

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-06-19T00:42:44+00:00

    David,

    Below is the last transaction I've seen.   20 minutes have past since the last transaction.

    "SUCCESS: The file (or folder): G:\WD Smartware.swstor\DESKTOPDCD9A3D\volume.83749cc6.0000.0000.0000.501f00000000\Users\Gary Smetana\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\3rv0qvm.default\cache2*doomed9999* now owned by user "DESKTOP-KHO4uap\gary_"

    The green bar graph continues to blink about every few seconds.....

    I highlighted the DOOMED and the number 9999, which is the 9,999th transaction of folders becoming "owned."

    Could the system have stopped because its "scale" can't go beyond 9999 ?

    IT RE-STARTED AS I WAS TYPING THIS, after 30minutes of nothing. I'm not seeing the word "DOOMED" anymore.  And the lines are flying so fast I can't see the number ......but it's gone way beyond 9,999.

    Patiently,

    Gary

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments