David,
Haven't downloaded the WD EHD software yet. Will do in a few hours.
Question: How do I get my Windows 10 Office Home edition ?
Gary
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
After lots of good help from several people, we've decided that my Windows 10 is corrupted, and it's causing the following issue:
- Entering keyboard data into a 3rd party app. (and even into Microsoft Word sometimes) causes the 1st two characters to be NOT typed into the App.
and need to be re-typed.
All attempts to fix this have failed. I have made nightly backups made of all my personal data.
Can someone in the Community send me the precise set of steps I need to follow, to successfully de-install and re-install the O/S ?
And could that same person help me during the process, with any questions or problems I encounter ?
Thank you,
Gary
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
David,
Haven't downloaded the WD EHD software yet. Will do in a few hours.
Question: How do I get my Windows 10 Office Home edition ?
Gary
B R E A K I N G N E W S ! !
THE OWNERSHIP THING IS STILL RUNNING, BUT I NOW HAVE ACCESS TO ALL OF MY PERSONAL FILES ON THE EHD. And all my photos too.
Not clear why I can do this, w/o the WD EHD software....... But I'll install it later, cuz I need it for my nightly back-ups.
Any advice ?
Gary
Ah hah ! We've stumbled into the truth.
What I'm trying to open is a Western Digital app. that is my access to all the backed-up files on the EHD. These are my personal Word, Excel, etc. files & folders. My Outlook Contacts; my Firefox Bookmarks, etc. And also my radio "log" of communications that day.
I do a nightly back-up. And verified that last night's back-up was OK.
The big OOPS is: I didn't download the Western Digital backup software that controls the EHD.
And the DESKTOP in the Ownership stuff is correct. It says the file in DESKTOP (previous) is now the owner of DESKTOP (new).
I need to take my meds (I'm 76, in poor health) and go back to bed, to have a clear head. Later this morning, I'll install the 3rd party EHD WD software, and try again to access my files on the EHD.
I'll stop the Take Ownership process. Will ping you after the WD EHD File Explorer tests...
Humbly,
Gary
Hi Gary
The files/folders you cannot access on that drive, can you please explain what is or should be in those and where they came from . . .
Good morning DavidM121,
It;s 5:30AM in NH/USA, and the "Take Ownership" utility is still running. The software for Ownership has been running since about 8PM last night or approx. 10 hours elapsed time.
Watching the transactions blast away on the monitor, I've noticed that the following "suffix" of each file/folder is the same, unchanging as the #'s roll:
Gary Smetana\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\3rv0qvm.default\cache2
And after cache 2 are a series of long hexadecimal numbers that are rolling rapidly bigger.....
But what the heck are we doing waiting on Mozilla Firefox Profiles ?
Are these temp browser folders, that I should have deleted before this process began ?
Is there an alternative way to get ownership and open this key file?
Gary