I took your advice. Shown below is a screenshot of what it says after running the program
Temporary files increasing every day by the gigabyte
Yesterday I went to a computer repair person because I was getting messages that I was out of storage. He had never heard of this problem but he ran a piece of software and said I would be good for a long time. Well since yesterday another 6 gigs of temporary files have appeared in my storage. I read some other articles first in this forum and tried the troubleshooter method and that didn't do anything. It said it could not find anything wrong. I don't want to bring it back to the computer repair person because he was just as perplexed as I am right now.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2019-04-05T14:00:00+00:00 -
Anonymous
2019-04-05T13:16:48+00:00 You have a very small drive so not much room to start with. But some of your areas seem to have quite a bit of data. You can select the individual areas and check what the files are but your Music, Other People, and Other sections seem to have quite a bit so maybe you can remove some from there.
You have storage sense turned on so maybe it isn't working or it thinks the temp files are still needed? You may have files in the Delivery Optimization section depending on how you have that option set up.
-
VARADHARAJAN K 9,726 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2019-04-05T13:02:36+00:00 delete all files from temporary folders like temp and tmp
use disk cleanup method or click on free up sapce now , choose all the boxes except downloads.
and then click to delete
-
DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor2019-04-05T12:49:40+00:00 Hi James
Windows Explorer is useless when it comes to working out where your hard drive space is being used . . .
Click the link below to download a small free utility called Treesize. Using that tool, you can monitor to see where this space is being used up and its exact location
https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/
Once you have worked out where this space is being used, please let me know so I can advise on what the underlying problem may be. . .
________________________________________________________
Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
.
-
Anonymous
2019-04-05T12:30:45+00:00 Hi James,
I'm Stefano an Independent Advisor, here to help you.
First of all, I suggest you to perform a disk clean-up:
- Open "File Explorer"
- Click on "This PC"
- Right click on "C:"
- Click on "Proprieties"
- Click on "Clean-up disk"
- Click on "Clean up system files"
- Select every option in the list, but not "Download"
- Click on "OK"
Then I suggest you to follow this procedure:
- Type "cmd" in windows search bar
- Right click on "Command Prompt"
- Select "Run as Administrator"
- Type "sfc /scannow" without quote and press ENTER
Please let me know if there are some files corrupted or damaged that can't be repaired.
Once ended try performing a clean boot: