Can't connect to wifi after Windows Update

Anonymous
2019-03-05T07:27:52+00:00

I just installed the latest Windows Update, but after installing it, my PC can no longer connect to wi-fi. The network troubleshooter only tells me to connect an ethernet cable and doesn't offer any solutions for how to fix the wireless connection at all. In fact, everything that had to do with wireless connections in Network and Internet Settings seems to be missing entirely. Connecting using an ethernet cable is now the only way to connect to the Internet on my PC. It's inexcusable for a Windows Update to do this to my PC.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T20:20:07+00:00

    I tried all the steps you suggested, but those steps did not fix it. 

    Then I tried the clean boot for, by disabling everything in startup and disabling all services in system configuration. Upon restarting, my wifi features actually worked. I could connect to wifi, like I was supposed to. 

    But then when I followed the steps listed to isolate the service that may be causing the problem, by systematically starting the services and restarting each time, to find out which one results in disabling my wifi connection, my wifi connection hasn't returned, even after disabling every service again. I have tried repeatedly to recreate the conditions that resulted in my wifi connection working that first time that I tried the clean boot, but I have been unable to do so. Now, even with all services disabled, it still can't connect to wifi. I don't know why it worked that one time, but hasn't worked since, even though I've tried disabling all services again, just like I did that first time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T08:28:31+00:00

    Right click on realtek adapter and follow the others instructions

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T08:22:05+00:00
    1. Click on "Network card"
    2. Right click on your wifi network card

    I don't see "Network card," only "Network adapters." None of the choices indicate "wifi network card."

     

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T08:07:34+00:00

    I tried this twice. It did not solve the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-03-05T07:31:28+00:00

    Hi XNam360,

    I'm Stefano an Independent Advisor here to help you.

    Please follow this procedure:

    1. Press WINDOWS + X
    2. Click on "Device Manager"
    3. Click on "Network card"
    4. Right click on your wifi network card
    5. Click on "Uninstall device"
    6. Click on "Detects Hardware change" (monitor icon)

    Then see if the wifi connection came back. If not, please try this:

    1. Type"cmd" in windows search bar
    2. Right click on "Command Prompt"
    3. Select "Run as Administrator"
    4. Type "ipconfig /renew" without quote and press ENTER
    5. Type "ipconfig /release" without quote and press ENTER
    6. Type "ipconfig /flushdns" without quote and press ENTER

    Then check if the wifi connection is now available. If not:

    1. Type "cmd" in windows search bar
    2. Right click on "Command Prompt"
    3. Select "Run as Administrator"
    4. Type "sfc /scannow" without quote and press ENTER

    Then :

    1. Type "cmd" in windows search bar
    2. Right click on "Command Prompt"
    3. Select "Run as Administrator"
    4. Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" without quote and press ENTER
    5. Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" without quote and press ENTER
    6. Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" without quote and press ENTER

    You can also perform a clean boot:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

    Please let me know if that fix your issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments