Can't connect to wifi after Windows Update

Anonymous
2019-03-05T07:27:52+00:00

I just installed the latest Windows Update, but after installing it, my PC can no longer connect to wi-fi. The network troubleshooter only tells me to connect an ethernet cable and doesn't offer any solutions for how to fix the wireless connection at all. In fact, everything that had to do with wireless connections in Network and Internet Settings seems to be missing entirely. Connecting using an ethernet cable is now the only way to connect to the Internet on my PC. It's inexcusable for a Windows Update to do this to my PC.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-07T00:44:08+00:00

    You can try with rolling back Windows Update, it could also be a possible solution. Then you can pause update, following this procedure:

    1. Press Windows + I
    2. Click on "Update & Security".
    3. Click on "Windows Update".
    4. Under "Update settings," click the Advanced options link.
    5. Turn on the "Pause Updates" toggle switch.

    This will pause updates for 35 days.

    All right, I finally managed to restore my wifi connection by recovering the previous version of Windows.

    Now, I just need to pause updates, but I can't find that anything that says "Pause Updates" in the Advanced Options for Update Settings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-06T08:19:54+00:00

    You can try with rolling back Windows Update, it could also be a possible solution. Then you can pause update, following this procedure:

    1. Press Windows + I
    2. Click on "Update & Security".
    3. Click on "Windows Update".
    4. Under "Update settings," click the Advanced options link.
    5. Turn on the "Pause Updates" toggle switch.

    This will pause updates for 35 days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-09T18:26:11+00:00

    Do you suppose that installing and plugging in a wifi adapter like this would work? 

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CCMUN8C/ref=cm\_sw\_r\_cp\_apa\_i\_6iaHCbTKYPR0W

    I've already wasted several days worth of my free time dealing with this problem and have gotten nowhere. If I can buy an adapter for $15 and workaround the problem that way, I'd be willing to do it. It's outrageous that Windows Update ruined my wifi connection and I have to spend money to get around it, but if it means not wasting any more time on this, that would be worth it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-03-08T18:06:59+00:00

    Ok, then... You see your network adapter on device manager?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-03-08T18:05:05+00:00

    It turns out I prematurely concluded that the problem was resolved. I suspended my computer and when got out of suspension, the wifi connection was no longer working. I have tried clean boot and normal boot several times, but the option to connect to wifi has not returned. I need further assistance fixing this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments