Windows 10 computer is very unresponsive

Anonymous
2019-03-07T19:03:07+00:00

First I'll describe the problem, then give the background.

The problem is that a Windows 10 computer usually is very unresponsive.  Clicking on anything, the blue circle will spin, then stop.  Then 10-20 seconds later the app will start to come up, but slowly.  The row of icons will appear at a rate of about 3 per second.  Often when I try to type into it, the characters don't appear - until several seconds later, then they will suddenly show up.

I've looked at task manager, and it is showing periods of high CPU use, and it is in these periods when it us unresponsive.  The main things using the CPU are "system", "service host: diagnostic policy service" and "service host: Windows event log".  See the attached screen capture from Task Manager.  When the CPU use is 20% or higher, it is unresponsive.

Background: I got a used HP Z620 last week (two 8-core Xeons, 64GB of RAM).  It came with Windows 7 and was working fine.  I tried to upgrade it to Windows 10, but it got into a boot loop. I took it into the computer repair shop, and they did a reinstall of Windows 10.  But when I got it back, it had this problem.  It would come and go - see the Task Manager image, which shows 4 minutes.  I left it on overnight last night, and this morning the task manager was flat at or near 0%, and it was responding normally.  When I came back after lunch, it had rebooted and the problem was back, except worse.  Now all (or almost all) of the time the CPU use is high and it is unresponsive.  The repair shop guarantees their work, but I'm wondering if there is a quicker solution.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2019-03-11T17:09:58+00:00

    Unfortunately I can suggest only reducing different processor's power saving options in bios. This is vendor specific hardware.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-11T19:44:17+00:00

    Yes, I ran Driver Booster and updated the BIOS.  I was so tired yesterday that I didn't do anything but clone drives.  But then I thought that since ProcessMon complained about the audio drivers, I disabled Realtek audio driver.  That seemed to fix the problem, but about 1-1/2 hours later it came back.

    So I think I need to try a selective bootup next.  That will take a while, since it can be over an hour until the problem shows up.  But I think that is the next step.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-12T03:56:17+00:00

    Well, there were very few things starting up on bootup.  I disabled or uninstalled all of them except Windows Defender.  I still had the problem.

    I cloned the boot drive to another drive, and within 35 minutes, the problem returned, so that pretty much rules out a HD problem.

    I think I've done everything I can do.  I'm going to take it back to the shop tomorrow.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-03-12T19:54:38+00:00

    Well, last night I found HPs page about BIOS changes to do before upgrading to Windows 10.  I did this (after the fact, of course) and got it where it would not boot.  I took it back to the store that installed Windows 10 a week ago.  They were able to get in.  They checked the HD on a machine and it showed up with many bad sectors.  I had run HDTune on it and it showed OK.  They tested the HD when it was in earlier and it was OK then.  So maybe the failing HD was the problem all along.  They are replacing the HD and doing a clean install.  Strange that it failed right when I got it back, though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-03-12T22:34:34+00:00

    Congratulations Jan,  and FYI for others as well:

    It looks like the intermittent failure showed up at the right time, and the HDD will be replaced.   Performance issues like yours that are intermittent and not predictable, in my experience, are usually hardware related.  Two other methods to help determine if something is heat or hardware electronics related is:

    1. Using a compressed gas "duster" to "cool" the device or component. (Formerly "freon" spray cans).
    2. Gently tapping various components with a non-conductive tool (ex: back of a screwdriver)

    In those cases the failing "component" may show itself with some kind of "hiccup" / sensitivity, or the original failure.  I hope there was something in the Event Viewer that gave some indications as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments