Windows 10 computer is very unresponsive

Anonymous
2019-03-07T19:03:07+00:00

First I'll describe the problem, then give the background.

The problem is that a Windows 10 computer usually is very unresponsive.  Clicking on anything, the blue circle will spin, then stop.  Then 10-20 seconds later the app will start to come up, but slowly.  The row of icons will appear at a rate of about 3 per second.  Often when I try to type into it, the characters don't appear - until several seconds later, then they will suddenly show up.

I've looked at task manager, and it is showing periods of high CPU use, and it is in these periods when it us unresponsive.  The main things using the CPU are "system", "service host: diagnostic policy service" and "service host: Windows event log".  See the attached screen capture from Task Manager.  When the CPU use is 20% or higher, it is unresponsive.

Background: I got a used HP Z620 last week (two 8-core Xeons, 64GB of RAM).  It came with Windows 7 and was working fine.  I tried to upgrade it to Windows 10, but it got into a boot loop. I took it into the computer repair shop, and they did a reinstall of Windows 10.  But when I got it back, it had this problem.  It would come and go - see the Task Manager image, which shows 4 minutes.  I left it on overnight last night, and this morning the task manager was flat at or near 0%, and it was responding normally.  When I came back after lunch, it had rebooted and the problem was back, except worse.  Now all (or almost all) of the time the CPU use is high and it is unresponsive.  The repair shop guarantees their work, but I'm wondering if there is a quicker solution.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-09T21:08:36+00:00

    Yes, they are Sandy Bridge E5-2680s, and are listed in the HP docs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2019-03-09T21:21:06+00:00

    Please ask HP if they provide Windows 10 compatibility.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-09T21:32:55+00:00

    Only 64-bit according to

    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04740515

    I wish I'd found that before the upgrade, I'll read it now!

    I got an HP Z420 and a Z820 that had Windows 10 on them, no problem.  I got this Z620 with Windows 7 and it was working until Windows 10.

    It has been suggested that I swap the HD - that is easy to do on these workstations, and that should tell whether or not it is a hardware problem, shouldn't it.  I'll try that probably tonight.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-03-10T02:12:45+00:00

    I chatted with HP tech support, gave them the serial number, and after a couple of minutes they said that it was Windows 10 compatible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-03-10T02:38:26+00:00

    Jan,   In addition to the HDD swap, either before or after, if you have not yet updated your drivers - there is a free updater called Driver Booster.  Download, install and remove afterwards so it doesn't keep asking you to get the "Pro" version.  Here a link:

    https://download.cnet.com/Driver-Booster/3000-18513\_4-75992725.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments