Well, it started acting up again. System and the Service Host things were the big users of the CPU. When it is like this, it is hard to get anything done, even changing Task Manager tabs. Not to mention pasting the screenshot into Paint, but I got it.
Windows 10 computer is very unresponsive
First I'll describe the problem, then give the background.
The problem is that a Windows 10 computer usually is very unresponsive. Clicking on anything, the blue circle will spin, then stop. Then 10-20 seconds later the app will start to come up, but slowly. The row of icons will appear at a rate of about 3 per second. Often when I try to type into it, the characters don't appear - until several seconds later, then they will suddenly show up.
I've looked at task manager, and it is showing periods of high CPU use, and it is in these periods when it us unresponsive. The main things using the CPU are "system", "service host: diagnostic policy service" and "service host: Windows event log". See the attached screen capture from Task Manager. When the CPU use is 20% or higher, it is unresponsive.
Background: I got a used HP Z620 last week (two 8-core Xeons, 64GB of RAM). It came with Windows 7 and was working fine. I tried to upgrade it to Windows 10, but it got into a boot loop. I took it into the computer repair shop, and they did a reinstall of Windows 10. But when I got it back, it had this problem. It would come and go - see the Task Manager image, which shows 4 minutes. I left it on overnight last night, and this morning the task manager was flat at or near 0%, and it was responding normally. When I came back after lunch, it had rebooted and the problem was back, except worse. Now all (or almost all) of the time the CPU use is high and it is unresponsive. The repair shop guarantees their work, but I'm wondering if there is a quicker solution.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2019-03-07T20:59:48+00:00 -
Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2019-03-07T21:03:12+00:00 Please sort upper table by CPU column (just click on its header so processes that use CPU could be on top.
-
Anonymous
2019-03-07T21:44:17+00:00 OK, here are two screenshots, one is sorted by CPU. It started back with the high use of about half a minute once a minute, then it went to solid use. ![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/7e53629a-8723-49bd-a905-003b191aa637?platform=QnA
-
Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2019-03-07T21:59:08+00:00 Please sort data in resource monitor by CPU load. Click on CPU header so most active process were on top,