Computer Disconnects From Internet randomly

Anonymous
2019-04-28T18:28:18+00:00

Hey, my PC keeps randomly disconnecting from the internet. Every 10 or so minutes I have to go to the Wi-Fi settings, disconnect it and reconnect to get my internet back. This is infuriating and I've been looking for a solution for about a month to no avail. This needs to be fixed as it online PC gaming unplayable. I can't stream either since the stream cuts out. This is definitely NOT an internet issue since it ONLY happens to the PC, no other devices. All answers blaming it on my internet will be ignored.

I used to have another PC and it didn't have this issue strangely. But literally as soon as I opened up my new PC, this issue started.

I've  done a lot of searching and pretty much tried every single option under the sun which includes:

Turning off 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' on my network adapter

Turning off IPV6 addresses

Restarting the PC

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-05-11T23:14:04+00:00

    Hello, I was under the impression this was not the correct IP since that didn't work even though I was connected. However, I had simply made a typo.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-12T04:12:00+00:00

    Alright, apologies for the misunderstanding from before. I have waited for a disconnect, and then pinged the correct IP.

    C:\Users\Roadh>ping 192.168.0.1

    Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    Request timed out.

    Request timed out.

    Request timed out.

    Request timed out.

    Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:

    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

    So, it seems that there is no response during a disconnect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-12T12:54:20+00:00

    Then it looks like you can't get to the Gateway, which means either the Gateway is bad or the Wi-Fi card is bad.  A bad Wi-Fi card should show some indications on your system.

    I can only see three possibilities.  Reset the Wi-Fi card and reinstall all drivers which you have done. Replace the Wi-fi card or get an external one with which you could test.  Lastly, which may not be easy, is replace your Gateway or at least check for firmware updates for it.  If it is an ISP supplied device, they might be able to check it or provide firmware/replacement.

    I am assuming all lights on your Gateway are indicating normally.

    If you could try a wired connection that might give some info regarding the gateway operation but might not help on the Wireless front.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-05-12T17:15:19+00:00

    We can eliminate the gateway possibility because the old PC I had worked perfectly, and no other devices have issues.

    I believe earlier I was told to reset the Wi-Fi card, but how do you do this? What steps would you follow?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-05-12T17:45:01+00:00

    The fact an older system works doesn't necessarily mean a new system will behave the same.

    You may want to just wait until Tuesday to see if the new Win 10 build comes out.

    If you want to try to reset it, what I do is download the appropriate driver for the Wi-Fi card.  Have it available and then go offline.  While you are doing this you may want to shutdown your other network devices and restart them before you go back online.

    Use the Device Manager to uninstall the Wi-Fi adapter and check the box to uninstall all drivers.  Once that is done an possibility after a reboot, install the downloaded driver.  Once it is installed, go back online and hopefully, your problems will stop.

    There are literally hundreds of threads with folks having problems regarding losing their network connections.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments