I heard a lot of this issue and therefore I deinstalled KB4493509 although I did not have a problem and although I don't have virus scanner installed.
But after deinstalling the update and even deactivating the Windows Update mechanism altogether, the Windows Update mechanism somehow got active again and installed KB4493509 again. Then, after a very long "Restarting" screen, I ran into the same problems as other people: Windows crashed with a BSOD "critical process died" during booting and it was unable to sucessfully repair it itself! I used the recovery/troubleshooting tools to enable boot logging and tried to deinstall the last update. There I got the message, that this is not possible because an Update is currently pending. I figured out, that the file pending.xml inside \Windows\WinSxS determines, whether an update is pending or not. So I removed that file completely with the help of a console available from within the recovery evironment. After I did this, I could boot again.
During the failures, the bootlog has stopped at
BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\msrpc.sys.
Now, when everything is fine again, I can see the whole bootlog and the next line after msrpc.sys is this one
BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\ksecdd.sys
so I conclude it relates to the problem.