Win 10 freezing my brand new PC

Anonymous
2019-04-03T18:44:21+00:00

Hi,

I ahve just spent over a thousand pounds on a new PC and it keeps freezing randomly no matter what I am doing! It is NOT a hardware issue it is Windows 10! I have a 4 year old PC that is running win 7 and it has no issues what so ever never has it crashed due to the operating system. I am a gamer so random crashes makes this PC a expensive brick and I do not know what to do maybe I will install windows 7 or look into another OS that actually works because win10 is useless to me I shouldnt have to run troubleshooting on a PC every few days in 2019 the community didnt ask for a new OS people was happy with win 7 but we are being fored to use a broken OS.

I will be looking into an alternative OS that works.

Avoid win10 it is garbage.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T19:33:48+00:00

    System Model    To Be Filled By O.E.M.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T19:32:26+00:00

    I wasnt using my PC for approx 5 minutes then my screen turned black and I could still use my mouse.

    All my drivers are up to date as I said I never had this issue with win 7 is there a way I can downgrade for free or do I need to pirate win 7 as I had the freezing issue last week and tried mulitple fixes which took my hours and I fixed the issue and now it is back. I shouldnt have to repair my PC every week I DO NOT WANT WIN 10 on my PC it is a broken OS

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T19:10:14+00:00

    Windows 7 & win 10 are two different OS..While Win 7 is a good OS,as was Win XP,they both do not have Win 10 capabilities..How was Win 10 installed,by default,one should boot pc to BIOS,install Win 10 OS in cdrom/set cdrom as 1st boot priority/HD 2nd.Save & exit BIOS,look for" Press any key to boot to cd".At cd menu,delete partition(s)/create one/format/the rest is Auto.Plus different Win 10 OS exist,

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=Windows%2010%20Media%20creation%20tool%20versions&ac=6

    the Media Creation Tool needs to run after,v1800

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  has some options,however the 1800 version seems solid.Plus,if youre pc is Win 10 ok'd,you need to download & install youre pc hardware software-driver.If intel,1st is the Chipset installer/storage controller is next.Youre pc mfg has all..Pc mfg doesn't have Win 10 drivers for youre pc !!!!then youre pc isn't capable to run Win 10...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T18:54:41+00:00

    Hi SD. I'm Greg, an installation specialist and 9 year Windows MVP here to help you.

    1. Update your drivers from the PC or motherboard maker's Support Downloads web page, using the full model number, Serial Number or Dell Service Tag on sticker. Compare the latest drivers available for download with the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu. Make sure you have the latest BIOS or UEFI firmware, Chipset, Display (Video), Sound, USB3, Bluetooth, Network and all other drivers, or else download and install the latest now.

    Updating drivers from the Device Manager or Windows Update is rarely enough.

    1. Go over this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Start with Step 4 to turn off Startup freeloaders which can conflict and cause issues, then Step 7 to check for infection the most thorough way, then step 10 to check for damaged System Files, and also Step 16 to test a new Local Admin account. Then continue with the other steps to go over your install most thoroughly.

    1. If nothing else helps you can run a Repair Install by installing the Media Creation Tool and choosing from it to Upgrade Now. This reinstalls Windows in about an hour while saving your files, apps and most settings, solves many problems while also bringing it up to the latest version 1809 which you need anyway and by the most stable method. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...

    But remember that in Windows 10 everything depends upon the quality of the install, and Factory or Upgrade installs are inferior installs which most enthusiasts won't even run because they'd expect endless issues. Consider now or later doing the Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible install that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    There is also an automated Fresh Start that reinstalls WIndows while shedding corrupting factory bloatware, saves your files, but doesn't clear the drive to get it cleanest: https://www.howtogeek.com/265054/how-to-easily-...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. If you'll wait to rate whether my post helped you, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T18:53:51+00:00

    Hi SDunning

    My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

    I would factory reset the computer and make sure the latest Feature Update is installed after installation.

    New computers that come from the factory tend to have outdated versions of Windows 10 and might need important updates for your BIOS and chipset.

    What is the exact make and model?

    Open Start, type: system information

    Hit Enter

    Click System summary

    Look in the right pane

    Copy the system sku info into reply here.

    See example: https://imgur.com/qzektpA

    Click Start > Settings (or press Windows key + i) > click Update & security

    Click Recovery then click Get Started under Reset this PC

    Since we are performing a clean install, I will be selecting the option Remove everything, if you don't want to do that, you can click Keep my files

    Reset offers two types of clean installs:

    Just remove my files - this option is quicker and recommended if you just want a fresh start and you plan to keep the computer.

    Remove files and clean the drive - if you plan to giveaway or resell your computer, this option ensures the computer is cleaned properly. Its takes a bit longer, but it is recommended if you plan to no longer use this computer.

    Since I will be using this computer, I will choose the first option.

    Click Reset to begin

    Windows 10 will restart

    Preparing to perform a reset

    Resetting - this might take some time depending on the amount of data

    Windows will check the drive for errors and fix them.

    Windows 10 performs a clean install again

    Out of Box Experience (OOBE)

    The Out of Box Experience assist with personlizing your Windows experience such as creating a user account, connect to a wireless network and adjust privacy settings.

    Choose your country, language, keyboard layout and time zone then click Next

    Read and accept the End User License Agreement

    If you want to customize your privacy settings, you can do so now. Please note, you can always do this after setup (Start > Settings > Privacy). For now, lets use Use Express settings

    Wait while Windows 10 restarts

    Setup your username, password and a hint then click Next

    There you have it, a clean installation of Windows

    If you are unable to boot to the desktop, do the following:

    Power on and off your computer three times

    On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment

    Click Advanced Options

    Click Troubleshoot

    Click Reset this PC

    Click Keep my files

    Choose your account

    Enter your password

    Click Continue

    Click Reset

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments