Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer.

Anonymous
2018-12-20T03:19:25+00:00

I can't play any video or audio and I get the above message when I try to play Youtube video. Rebooting temporarily resolves the problem.

______________________________________

Hey everyone! I found a fix. Are you all using an adblocker? That turned out to be the problem. I did not get the error again after whitelisting Youtube. However, I renabled it because reloading the page and getting back to where I was before was faster than watching a 0:05-0:30 ad. At the beginning. Maybe twice. Then in the middle. And one at the end. PLEASE TRY THIS BEFORE POSTING A REPLY. xd

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-07T09:25:48+00:00

    Yep, restart of the service works much faster than restart of the whole system. Thanks Jiayin!

    Still not sure though if Dell and Microsoft are doing anything to resolve the underlying issue

    My 2 year old Inspiron 17-7778 started having these problems in the last maybe 2 months and neither fresh/other/latest drivers solve this annoying problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-05T00:56:09+00:00

    Windows 10 Home, Version 1803, OS Build 17134.523. ASUS X542U-SH71-CB.

    I got the same thing all of a sudden. When I went on YouTube, it said "Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer." I couldn't hear any audio from anything else on my computer either, even though I turned up the speaker volume. I tried plugging in and unplugging my headphones several times, but still no audio.

    This is the first time that this happened for me. The only thing I did out of the ordinary recently is that I started up Skype through Start Menu > Apps > Skype (I don't usually use it). Not sure if related.

    Restarting the Audio Service fixed the audio problem for me. Task Manager > Services > Audiosrv > right click > Restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-31T21:53:30+00:00

    Yeah, when I get the message, it's not just youtube, twitter, instagram and any other website that has videos is broken. I have a Dell Inspiration 13-7359 model.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-31T11:25:14+00:00

    XPS 13 here as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-01-31T11:24:32+00:00

    Same issue here.   I've got a Dell XPS13.    I cleared the problem a week ago with a driver update, but the problem is back again and forces me to reboot on regular basis (1-1.5 times a day)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments