Windows 10 version 1809 update - Slow Context New Submenu & Menu Items Missing

Anonymous
2018-10-10T23:10:23+00:00

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

After the 1809 update I've found that all the PCs I have applied it to so far have the same symptom of very slow access to the New submenu in Right Click Context menus. It seems when you first open the right click menu and scroll to the New submenu there will be a long delay before the submenu opens which freezes the Context menu. Once the New submenu opens you can roll the mouse cursor on and off the submenu and it will close and re-open quickly, but as soon as you allow the Context menu to close and try the re-open it the problem returns. It appears to be some problem with background enumeration of the menu. 

I also notice on a couple of machines the New submenu now contains far fewer items after the 1809 update. Some of the systems have a lot of software installed so usually have a long list in the New submenu, others are basically vanilla content machines for browsing and just have the defaults with Office 365.

This happens over the desktop or in any open Explorer window.

The five machines I have upgraded are from a variety of manufacturers(Dell, Acer and Asus) using different processors(new and old), graphic cards(AMD, Nvidia and Intel), etc., etc., so it seems it is not associated with any specific hardware. I have had no other obvious problems with the 1809 update.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-06T15:09:18+00:00

    Jeez. We're talking about a small, annoying delay in a context menu, and suddenly this is proof (or the result) of how society is breaking down, and how coders are either stupid, lazy or evil? Chill out, people! 

    This thread is supposed to help people with the issue of the context menu, not for angry, old (or young) men (or women) to rant about how the world is going to hell and everything was so much better in the olden days. It's just a context menu, not the rout of civilization. Can we please get back on topic again?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-06T17:05:35+00:00

    Rudd, How do you know it's a small group? It's not uncommon for business to try and suppress unhappy customer counts. It's also not surprising that those that haven't a clue about a broad range of issues that legacy users deal with when blinders are put on support to help keep the cycle of current development on target.

    What you might be considered ranting can be considered feed back. Listen up. Topic is how to fix a broken system. Not how to blow off get off my lawn rants or back in teh day we'd walk miles to get to school. 

    However back in teh day, we had this thing called respect for the customers. Sadly it's lacking in teh development and deployment of updates and the support that follows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-10T04:52:12+00:00

    Same problem as everyone else with sluggish "New" sub-menu  on Explorer context menu. Was hoping for a fix from Microsoft -- like four months ago. The slowness of the "New" sub-menu item really interferes with workflow. Unless the bug is confined to certain hardware (I'm running 32-bit Windows 10 on a 2011 netbook), there is really no excuse for this kind of programming sloppiness and lack of quality control. You would think Microsoft can automate the testing of user interaction in the GUI by now to discover these defects in Explorer.

    It's not the first time Explorer has had major problems. On Windows 7, a bug in Explorer prevented the creation of desktop shortcuts. Fairly essential feature, if you exploit the convenience of the Windows desktop in your work.

    The lack of an immediate patch back when 1809 was released last October suggests a more severe software design issue which cannot be addressed with a simple repair. The lack of quality control here needs to be put in relief until Microsoft can deliver basic security updates to Windows 10 without breaking the very GUI desktop conveniences that keep customers from wiping their hard drives to install Linux.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-15T21:34:04+00:00

    Well I knew it was too good to last. After I formatted my drives and did a clean install of Windows 10 and installed all my tons of software the "NEW" menu still popped up instantly with no delay. Today to my surprise it was non functioning as before. I was to say the least PISSED.

    Luckily I knew that I had only installed 2 things recently. One was ITunes and another was some APP I installed from Microsoft Store that opens Excel files. I uninstalled both. As well as uninstalling ITunes I also uninstalled the apple device manager and software updater since those have to be uninstalled separately. I checked the "NEW" submenu and to my surprise it worked perfectly again. No delay. I didn't even have a need to reboot.

    So, in conclusion. It was abundantly clear the issue is in direct relation to some APP or software that is causing an issue with the menu or shellex associations. My wife had neither of the 2 programs that I had installed so hers is more than likely being caused by a different APP. My suggestion than to those who are experiencing this problem. Uninstall your apps one by one to see if the problem is resolved. If it doesn't get resolved you can rule the APP out and reinstall it.  There is no need to uninstall software that you have used for years but if it isn't something you have used frequently it may be the cause.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments