Windows 10 version 1809 update - Slow Context New Submenu & Menu Items Missing

Anonymous
2018-10-10T23:10:23+00:00

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

After the 1809 update I've found that all the PCs I have applied it to so far have the same symptom of very slow access to the New submenu in Right Click Context menus. It seems when you first open the right click menu and scroll to the New submenu there will be a long delay before the submenu opens which freezes the Context menu. Once the New submenu opens you can roll the mouse cursor on and off the submenu and it will close and re-open quickly, but as soon as you allow the Context menu to close and try the re-open it the problem returns. It appears to be some problem with background enumeration of the menu. 

I also notice on a couple of machines the New submenu now contains far fewer items after the 1809 update. Some of the systems have a lot of software installed so usually have a long list in the New submenu, others are basically vanilla content machines for browsing and just have the defaults with Office 365.

This happens over the desktop or in any open Explorer window.

The five machines I have upgraded are from a variety of manufacturers(Dell, Acer and Asus) using different processors(new and old), graphic cards(AMD, Nvidia and Intel), etc., etc., so it seems it is not associated with any specific hardware. I have had no other obvious problems with the 1809 update.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T19:39:15+00:00

    Sure bad code happens and that I fully understand but blaming it on their users or assuming it only effects those who upgraded from earlier versions is never going to get the issue resolved. They believe it is an issue that is from "slow" running computers. I have a fully upgraded machine and run memory and CPU intensive operations all the time with ease. My machine runs lightening fast and yet the only issue I have is a non functioning "NEW" in Windows context menu and ONLY after the 1809 update.

    It's obvious at least to me where the fault lies but they fail to admit it or fix it.

    Now I am just creating new files/folders from the command prompt. Not as convenient but at least it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T19:08:40+00:00

    We both know that bad code can happens, but this is ridiculous. Two versions in a roll with more problems than the last.  I will share your response with a developer I know that works with a major plug in developer for Adobe Photoshop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T14:06:18+00:00

    I've had them tell me it's my … grasp for any available  straw you can think of,... their solution. roll back to 1803 and lose ALL my programs which will be hours and hours of reinstall time. Of course they quote a new disk at $199 but fail to PAY MY TIME to fix THEIR bad code... Day after DAY,... bug after bug lost data after TB of lost DATA. 1803 and 1809... ASk Dell to build you a new BIOS,.. since they said all bios that are older than 2013 are suspect. Ask AMD to build a new driver. ASK )*(&^%(& to fix their hardware to comply with 1809... lol... They seem to want to blame it everyone but themselves. 

    I know exactly what you're saying. I am a retired programmer. I have 3 degrees all computer related. I called support just a few days ago and they tried playing the blame game on me until I proved my expertise to them.

    I don't have a Dell or a HP or any store bought machine. I have built every machine I have ever owned since the 486 days. I am extremely particular what goes in my machine and am very anal when it comes to upgrades or updates (hardware and software).

    They tried blaming my machine... I gave them all my specs. They were dumb founded and attempt failed.

    They tried saying they are aware of the problem and it was isolated to those who upgraded Windows from a previous version. Yet... both my wife and I have the full Windows 10 USB sticks that we both purchased and installed completely fresh. She has Home version and I have the pro version. They were also wrong there.

    I asked them if they needed me to fly to Seattle and teach them how to program. She didn't answer although I sensed she actually thought about it.

    I manually removed every single shell item from the new sub menu except Folder and Text (.txt) and that didn't even resolve it. 

    I have 2 old friends who worked on the Windows 7 team and since than have moved on and are no longer with Microsoft but personally I feel Windows 7 is the last best version of Windows. Windows 10 is heavily flawed and they are more concerned with creating and integrating FLUFF programs than on making sure their core functionality still works.

    As a programmer the NEW sub menu is highly vital. To create new folders now I have to copy an existing folder, clear its contents and rename it. Same thing with any new file.

    I am to the point where I feel the only solution is just to write my own utility that removes "New" from the current context menu and writing my own for it. However, I shouldn't have to. I and my wife paid good money for fresh copies of Windows 10 and if their teams knew how to program they would fix the issue as it IS a major one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2019-03-30T19:08:58+00:00

    I've had them tell me it's my … grasp for any available  straw you can think of,... their solution. roll back to 1803 and lose ALL my programs which will be hours and hours of reinstall time. Of course they quote a new disk at $199 but fail to PAY MY TIME to fix THEIR bad code... Day after DAY,... bug after bug lost data after TB of lost DATA. 1803 and 1809... ASk Dell to build you a new BIOS,.. since they said all bios that are older than 2013 are suspect. Ask AMD to build a new driver. ASK )*(&^%(& to fix their hardware to comply with 1809... lol... They seem to want to blame it everyone but themselves.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments