Files not synced - OneDrive

Anonymous
2018-10-18T01:21:02+00:00

I am having an issue with my OneDrive synch client (they newest version) that says all files are synched, yet in the documents folder the icons do not match (and appear that the documents are not synched).  I spent 30 plus hour on the phone with Office 365 (who made matters worse at first) but then we've been able to determine with a second windows profile created (i.e. what you login windows with) that this does not occur.  They told me to contact the windows team to have them investigate my profile on the back end (i.e. their servers) as my account might have issues.  I then contacted the windows team (and asked for a supervisor) and this person (even after looking at the exact email from the Office 365 team stating my windows ID likely was corrupted) refused to help except to just delete the ID entirely.  Given this windows login ID is tied to a bunch of documents, etc. on this computer, it seems like there has to be another option.  Or how do I copy everything over to the new ID?  

***Modified the title Issue with Windows Login ID - according to Office 365 Windows team needs to fix (they say nothing they can do)***

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-28T18:01:56+00:00

    PCR - thanks so much!  You are correct in that we have the same version and also correct that you can choose what files synch (I think Maybe Craig didn't understand this?).  This also has nothing to do with being able to login to your Windows account (which is forced to not use a Business Office 365 account login with the home version (which Office 365 and Windows both acknowledege is a problem for users, but not the cause of this problem (in fact the OneDrive synch client allows you to sign in with work or personal, etc. accounts).  The synch icons are exactly the issue.  I have the save space and download as you use them selected, but also have the "Always keep on this Device" checked on the folders so these should have synch icons that appear as green check icon.  However, in my case, they consistently look like there are folders that are not yet synched, despite actually being synched (so rather confusing). See below.

    FYI - The OneDrive synch client says "All synched" and all the folders above each have the "Always Keep on this Device" checked even though some are showing the wrong synch status.

    Ulitmately, what it appears to be is the icon status is just wrong - but when we did a test with a new windows login profile created (also clearly not the same login as the MS Office One Drive business login) - the synch profile icon status is correct.  This is what lead MS Office to say its' a windows issue and an issue with my profile that they need to fix.  Yet Mala_S below (similar to the Windows "experts" I call) basically will do nothing to look into why my Windows Login profile has issues.  The supervisor on the MS Office side clearly wrote this is the notes (which I literally showed the Windows "supervisor" as well, yet they would not lift a finger to try and file a ticket to re-synch my windows profile on their servers (what had to be done years ago).  

    Any suggestions on how to actually get a competent Windows supervisor to look into the issue and my windows profile?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-28T02:20:35+00:00

    I don't know what's going on with those experts. I'm thinking things are better in your new account maybe because the OneDrive settings are different. I don't have Office, but I think we probably have the same version of OneDrive. Right-click the OneDrive icon in the Tray, & select "Settings". What version is it at the About tab...?...

    That version line is a link. When I click it, it goes to the OneDrive download site you posted. You are not Enterprise or an Insider, so I bet we are the same. Then, the crucial setting is at the Account tab. Ensure the folders & files you want to sync are selected...

    If you have Files On-Demand set at the Settings tab... 

    Edited 10/28: It seems one needs also to click the OneDrive icon in the Tray & select "Open folder", right-click each folder, & select "Free up space" for the ones you want to be offline (until accessed). Those will then have a cloud for an icon. After accessing them, they get the "circled check" icon, & I believe you will need to manually free up the space again, if desired.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-27T18:58:17+00:00

    As stated in my original post and below  - the One Drive MS Office team has looked into this (spent over 30 hours on the phone with them) and the issue is not with OneDrive, but with my Windows profile which they believe has some sort of corruption on the back-end.  Given when we created a second "test" WIndows profile, the issue does not occur.  This team even wrote notes describing that the issue is with my Windows profile and to have the Windows team look into (or re-sych) on the back-end my profile.  Instead, all the Windows team wanted to do was delete my profile entirely.  There clearly is a way to re-synch windows profiles and I had this done before years ago.  I just can't find someone on the Windows side who wants to investigate and file a ticket to re-synch my Windows profiles

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-27T18:54:18+00:00

    Thanks! But unfortunately that is a bit of a different issue.  My OneDrive is actually the OneDrive for Business synch client (although it is the updated version that apparently can synch both business and non-business (it is the version that MS Office suggests you use - Next Generation synch client I believe is what they call it ) so it is not tied to the Documents folder (you actually have to choose which files synch).  MS Office techs specifically put this version on my machine 

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/new-onedrive-sync-client-release-notes-845dcf18-f921-435e-bf28-4e24b95e5fc0?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US 

    However, windows does not (unless you have the enterprise edition) allow you to use your MSOffice Business login for the windows login to open your computer and you have to use your "regular" windows login.  This should not be a problem, but in my case, they (MS Office team) believe there is some corrpution with my Windows profile that the Windows team can fix - I just can't seem to get anyone competent to want to look into what is wrong on the back-end.  All they want to do is entirely delete my windows profile (which is not an option given what is connected to this profile). 

    Just seems sort of bogus if you know what I mean.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments