Standard ahci sata controller
Blue screen after upgrading HDD with SSD
Hello community members,
I have a toshiba satelite L850 1DV and I though to upgrade it with an SSD and additional RAM. The RAM so far was OK working perfectly with the old toshiba HDD, to be expected as it was suggested by the retailer from whom I bought the laptop.
But the Patriot Burst 240 GB SSD that I choose has made me crazy. It keeps freezing my laptop every now and then and giving me a bluescreen and whatever I try doesnt work.
Firmaware is updated, checked the patriots tool, I have installed Intel RST and disabled LPM, have changed the advanced power settings, have disabled disk indexing and all the things that come as solutions in a google search for that matter. Have checked the disk for errors through cmd and patriots tool. Also please note that I have kept me old HDD as second drive for more space through a HDD optical disk caddy.
So could anyone please help and give me any insights because I need to be able to work and save files on this laptop for my studies.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2018-10-21T17:32:00+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-10-21T19:48:21+00:00 Hi,
I think you have narrowed down the problem to a bad SSD...
I would be looking for an Exchange...
Be advised that a online merchant may require some type of photo or other evidence of a failure for a refund, but maybe not for a exchange...
This is something I have encountered...
-
Anonymous
2018-10-22T12:51:52+00:00 Although the Standard ahci sata controller should work you could try the following storage driver form Intel - it should install as there is a matching Hardware Id in the .inf file :
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23496...
Create a System Restore Point beforehand and you may have to install the driver in "Compatibility Mode".
As suggested though the problem may with the SSD itself.
-
Anonymous
2018-10-23T20:57:45+00:00 you really think that the ssd is faulty? all the apps that check disk health say its ok
maybe to find out 100% I must check it in a desktop or something? So if I buy a new one should be ok?just plug it and install windows.
-
Anonymous
2018-10-23T23:13:49+00:00 Hi,
There is nothing about your computer that would work properly with a HDD, but repeatedly fail with the SSD, other than a bad SSD...
The only other possibility might be a bad connection... I have had that happen with both HDDs and SSDs... Work OK for awhile, and then stop...
I can not guarantee that the SSD is the problem, but if the machine only screws up when the SSD is hooked up, that would be what I would be replacing if it were my machine... I have guessed wrong before though...
I was thinking it was a new SSD that you should be able to return or exchange..
BTW... If you had access to another computer to test it some more, that might be beneficial... A desktop would be easier..