Blue screen after upgrading HDD with SSD

Anonymous
2018-10-18T21:53:48+00:00

Hello community members,

I have a toshiba satelite L850 1DV and I though to upgrade it with an SSD and additional RAM. The RAM so far was OK working perfectly with the old toshiba HDD, to be expected as it was suggested by the retailer from whom I bought the laptop.

But the Patriot Burst 240 GB SSD that I choose has made me crazy. It keeps freezing my laptop every now and then and giving me a bluescreen and whatever I try doesnt work.

Firmaware is updated, checked the patriots tool, I have installed Intel RST and disabled LPM, have changed the advanced power settings, have disabled disk indexing and all the things that come as solutions in a google search for that matter. Have checked the disk for errors through cmd and patriots tool. Also please note that I have kept me old HDD as second drive for more space through a HDD optical disk caddy.

So could anyone please help and give me any insights because I need to be able to work and save files on this laptop for my studies.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T15:58:42+00:00

    I disabled defender. I usualy install mal bytes and avg. But because in the last week i have installed windows like 5 times i didnt have to install avg. I meam would it help to anything if i take  the bios battery for a minute and put back again?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-10-19T16:24:09+00:00

    I'm only guessing when I say it may help to take out the battery. Certainly wont hurt.

    When you get a blue screen what is the error.

    Not knowing how the SSD is connected (cable or not) take it out or disconnect it and plug it back in again. I'd also be tempted to put the HDD back in again just to check.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-20T00:31:45+00:00

    Can you provide the following information which may help determine any issue(s):

    Windows Key + R > type msinfo32 in the "Open" box > OK > File > Save > then save as an .nfo file

    Then make the resulting .nfo file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

    Also, can you do the following:

    Windows Key + R > type eventvwr in the "Open" box > OK > expand "Custom Views" and then right-click "Administrative Events" > select "Save all events in Custom View As" and save as an .evtx file

    Then make the resulting .evtx file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-20T00:52:50+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-20T01:23:42+00:00

    Hi,

    As much as I hate to say, it actually sounds like the new RAM...

    The type of BSODs you describe are typical with bad memory... It could be the SSD, but I doubt it... I would suggest putting the HDD back in and trying that for awhile...

    I recently had a condition similar to what you describe, and it had nothing to do with the computer at all... After a good bit of troubleshooting and trial and error, I discovered that my UPS unit was somehow providing "Dirty" power to the computer... Replacing it resolved the problem..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments