Blue screen after upgrading HDD with SSD

Anonymous
2018-10-18T21:53:48+00:00

Hello community members,

I have a toshiba satelite L850 1DV and I though to upgrade it with an SSD and additional RAM. The RAM so far was OK working perfectly with the old toshiba HDD, to be expected as it was suggested by the retailer from whom I bought the laptop.

But the Patriot Burst 240 GB SSD that I choose has made me crazy. It keeps freezing my laptop every now and then and giving me a bluescreen and whatever I try doesnt work.

Firmaware is updated, checked the patriots tool, I have installed Intel RST and disabled LPM, have changed the advanced power settings, have disabled disk indexing and all the things that come as solutions in a google search for that matter. Have checked the disk for errors through cmd and patriots tool. Also please note that I have kept me old HDD as second drive for more space through a HDD optical disk caddy.

So could anyone please help and give me any insights because I need to be able to work and save files on this laptop for my studies.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-10-19T14:02:38+00:00

    I have mine set to windows controlled. You could ttt that if you've had it set manually in the past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T14:18:48+00:00

    I also have mine to windows controlled but yet cant find any dump files

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-10-19T15:03:59+00:00

    Okay. When I read your previous post I thought you meant you had it set manually. Mine is currently at 1280Mb, system managed. Are you sure you mean Kb and not Mb.? If windows needs more it will allocate it.

    Are you running a 3rd party AV scanner or just using Defender.

    Are there any bios updates for the device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T15:14:35+00:00

    I will check when i get home if its kb or mb. I had malware bytes installed and disabled defender. The bios update tool from toshiba says this is the latest 6.81.

    Should i take off the bios battery? And what consequences are there?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-10-19T15:33:39+00:00

    This is only my opinion. Malwarebytes is not a replacement for a virus scanner. It is a malware scanner and can some times pickup malware that AV could miss.

    Did you manually disable Defender or did it disable automatically when you installed Malwarebytes.

    If you take out the bios battery it will reset the bios and it will reset every time you power off if you leave it out. The time will go back to default and windows may not correct it for a few minutes after the OS starts.

    You can take out the battery to reset the bios and it may need some settings changing once you put it back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments