Blue screen after upgrading HDD with SSD

Anonymous
2018-10-18T21:53:48+00:00

Hello community members,

I have a toshiba satelite L850 1DV and I though to upgrade it with an SSD and additional RAM. The RAM so far was OK working perfectly with the old toshiba HDD, to be expected as it was suggested by the retailer from whom I bought the laptop.

But the Patriot Burst 240 GB SSD that I choose has made me crazy. It keeps freezing my laptop every now and then and giving me a bluescreen and whatever I try doesnt work.

Firmaware is updated, checked the patriots tool, I have installed Intel RST and disabled LPM, have changed the advanced power settings, have disabled disk indexing and all the things that come as solutions in a google search for that matter. Have checked the disk for errors through cmd and patriots tool. Also please note that I have kept me old HDD as second drive for more space through a HDD optical disk caddy.

So could anyone please help and give me any insights because I need to be able to work and save files on this laptop for my studies.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-20T19:14:04+00:00

    Hi,

    I'm afraid I may have introduced more confusion...

    The SSD should be "Initialized" as appropriate for your machine..

    If your machine is using Legacy Bios, then yes... The SSD should be "MBR"...

    You do this by deleting everything on the drive and starting over...

    I doubt that this is causing you a problem... I only mentioned this to cover all the bases for possible "SSD Settings"..

    I didn't realize that you didn't replace memory as a matched pair\set...

    This can sometimes causes problems... Especially at higher memory clock speeds...

    But yes... Try a reinstall on the SSD with the new stick removed... That would be the best shot of resolving this in one try...

    I would also advise to "Disable" the Intel RapidStart, or not install it at all...

    It is similar to the built-in Windows Fast Startup, which will probably be better anyway...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-20T17:01:55+00:00

    Can you verify the Hardware Ids for the device:

    In the Device Manager double-click on "Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" > Details, then choose "Hardware Ids" from the drop-down menu under "Property".

    What is listed under "Value"?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-20T16:39:28+00:00

    so if I understand correctly I should initialize the ssd to MBR (dont know what is that I will just googled it) and then reinstall windows after taking out the the second ram module (the new one).

    and if this doesnt work means the ssd is faulty?useless?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-20T16:33:58+00:00

    The intel rapid storage driver version 12.9 is the only version i can download the others when i start the installed it says platform not supported. I installed irst drivers in order to disable agressive LPM cause i read it somewhere as a fix. So what i should now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-20T16:09:05+00:00

    Hi,

    Normally yes...

    Some machines will automatically switch the Bios settings from UEFI to Legacy or vice\versa, based on the boot media, which can confuse the process...

    I have one of these.. At times this is convenient, and others is a real pain.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments