Blue screen after upgrading HDD with SSD

Anonymous
2018-10-18T21:53:48+00:00

Hello community members,

I have a toshiba satelite L850 1DV and I though to upgrade it with an SSD and additional RAM. The RAM so far was OK working perfectly with the old toshiba HDD, to be expected as it was suggested by the retailer from whom I bought the laptop.

But the Patriot Burst 240 GB SSD that I choose has made me crazy. It keeps freezing my laptop every now and then and giving me a bluescreen and whatever I try doesnt work.

Firmaware is updated, checked the patriots tool, I have installed Intel RST and disabled LPM, have changed the advanced power settings, have disabled disk indexing and all the things that come as solutions in a google search for that matter. Have checked the disk for errors through cmd and patriots tool. Also please note that I have kept me old HDD as second drive for more space through a HDD optical disk caddy.

So could anyone please help and give me any insights because I need to be able to work and save files on this laptop for my studies.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-21T19:48:21+00:00

    Hi,

    I think you have narrowed down the problem to a bad SSD...

    I would be looking for an Exchange...

    Be advised that a online merchant may require some type of photo or other evidence of a failure for a refund, but maybe not for a exchange...

    This is something I have encountered...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-21T17:32:00+00:00

    Standard ahci sata controller

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-21T17:16:35+00:00

    I did initialize the ssd took out the second memory module( the new one), restored bios settings,sata mode to ahci and installed windows and the same thing after 5 to 10 min the laptop freezes over and over again. I inserted the second ram module and the freeze occurs less frequently. To me its like the ssd just shuts down after a couple minutes and then ram takes over so thats why with 8 gb ram it takes more time until the freeze.

    Also I installed windows to the hdd (no freezes) and I inserted the ssd( as a storage drive ) in order to transfer some files from the ssd to the hdd before performing a clean install in the ssd again. While I  was copying files from the ssd to the hdd after some time the copying speed will go to zero and the copying will stop. The system on the hdd was running ok but the data transfer from the ssd to hdd was dead like again the ssd was shut down, no power. And I had to restart and resume the data tranfer.

    So is my system shutting down the ssd or its fault or what omg.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-21T17:12:14+00:00

    Can you do the following:

    In the Device Manager right-click "standard ahci sata controller " > Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

    What is listed under Model (with "Show compatible hardware" "checked") ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-21T17:06:15+00:00

    there is no Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

    there is standard ahci sata controller and the hardware id is

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&SUBSYS_FB311179&REV_04

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&SUBSYS_FB311179

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_010601

    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_0106

    or you mean something else?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments