cannot save word files after 1809 update

Anonymous
2018-10-03T20:24:23+00:00

my computer has just updated to 1809. now it seems i cannot save any files in Word. i am using Word 2013...

Any ideas what i can do?

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-17T03:08:34+00:00

    1809 finally showed up as a normal update for me 2nd Tuesday in Jan 2019. Fortunately, the saving problem seems to be fixed but the File Association for DOCX files was changed to WordPad instead of MS Word (2016 in my case).

    Noticed this as a Word shortcut on my desktop looked wrong. Trying to open it failed as the Word file is encrypted and WordPad could not deal with it.

    Had to manually reset the file association for .docx files. Did not see any other wrong associations. Yet...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-03T05:45:13+00:00

    Hi! I found the fix of the problem (another user had tried my fix and worked), 

    I did these steps:

    1. Run word as administrator (Shortcut > Compatibility > 'Run as Administrator)
    2. Start Word and then go to File > Options > Add-ins,

    * Under manage tab ''Manage: COM Add-ins'' GO

    * Deselect all add-ins and then type Ok.

    1. Restart Word

    Now when I click on 'Browse' it pops us the window, just as normal.

    Worked for me as well!

    As people wrote above - all other solutions failed and this simple one worked! 

    Many thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-12-20T19:54:12+00:00

    my computer has just updated to 1809. now it seems i cannot save any files in Word. i am using Word 2013...

    Any ideas what i can do?

    Thanks

    Seems to be the COM addin from FOX-it PDF reader. After removing Fox-it MS Word could save and "save as". I was using Word 2016 and had the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-12-19T22:14:56+00:00

    Similar issue: Word 2016 with Acrobat Pro 2017.

    Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-in is enabled in Word. ACROBAT tab is visible in the ribbon, but all of its options are disabled and Word cannot save any files. 

    Once the add-in is disabled, the ACROBAT tab of course goes away and Word works OK.

    Moreover, regardless of the Acrobat PDFMaker add-in  status in Word (i.e enabled or disabled), when right clicking on any Word document and selecting convert to pdf, the pdf is not created and I get an error message that Word 2016 cannot open the file as I don't have access to it!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-12-13T15:15:46+00:00

    I had the same problem with Word.  Couldn't save and then  Couldn't run any add-ins or macros in order to save.

    For another reason, my Windows 10 wouldn't boot and I had to perform a "Repair Installing Windows 10".

    This essential wipes Windows 10 and all your programs and reinstalls Windows 10.  You can choose to keep directories like Documents (Keep personal files, apps, and Windows settings). 

    When I finally reinstalled Word, it ran normally with all add-ins and macros.

    This at the moment seems to be the only way to get Word back to normal.

    It is amazing the Microsoft does not provide a direct fix!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments