Windows 10 Blue Screen

Anonymous
2018-10-26T04:43:52+00:00

I'm getting frequent blue screens on my Windows 10 64bit install.  Here's my sad tale:

I upgraded from Win 7 32 bit to Win 10 64 bit, but found my Intel H67 chipset wasn't getting 64 bit drivers... so in order to keep using my i7-2600 2nd gen Intel CPU and other bits I upgraded to a Z77 chipset motherboard. 

I wasn't sure how Windows 10 would handle the board swap.  It was a valiant struggle I'm sure, but the change was unstable.  So I started loading drivers from the motherboard mfg.  That helped somewhat but still getting some blue screens.  So I've attached my minidumps and sysinfo.  Thank you for your help! 

minidumps and sysinfo: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArNe4-q6Tz36hh7uTSzgvsAR4YgY

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-30T12:59:43+00:00

    memtest86 v7.5 ran its testing overnight (outside of windows) and found 0 errors.  The only note was the RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammering bit flips.  I think this is a security concern primarily and not stability but it may be due to the fact that the two DIMMs are not in dual channel slots; they are in one red and one black slot because those are the ones that were functional when I was installing my hardware on the used board. 

    There was some talk of turning off "dual channel" but I thought that woudn't be operational if they were not in the same colored slots.  I also wondered if this was a indication of a memory problem with the motherboard, but now I'm unsure if memtest86 would find motherboard memory slot or controller issues.  I guessed it would but didn't find explicit guidance on this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-30T13:07:56+00:00

    Still something related to the USB port, probably the Logitech device. My next set of instructions would be to use

    Logitech Keyboard and mouse on another computer for a day on another computer. If it BlueScreens on the other one, the keyboard and mouse might require a replacement. Also side by side, if you can consult the logitech support regarding this(like forums) to check if there isn't a known issue with a recent Windows update would be good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-31T15:18:21+00:00

    I have opened a support case with Logitech.  Didn't find anything similar in their forums (and I didn't see a way to post even when logged in?). 

    On my own I found a note about USB3 ports not always being backwards compatible with USB2 devices, so I moved my Logitech webcam to a USB2 port.   There are 3 on the back panel: one has my USB wifi dongle, one has my Logitech unifying receiver, and one has my Logitech webcam.  The other 4 are USB3 (Intel and Asmedia).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-12T01:12:26+00:00

    Still fiddling with Logitech.  They had me using 3rd party software to clean up their uninstaller's messes... really surprising for a top shelf hardware company.  Anyways I'm definitely more stable but still getting the occasional BSOD.  I was going to upload the last one but it disappeared from the minidump folder (does it empty every day?). 

    Here's the only thing that now seems to be related to the crash: I'm using the Chrome web browser.  If I use Firefox, or even just have Firefox open it won't crash.  I'm sure that sounds loony tunes.  But that's all I have at the moment.  If I get another crash (yes, I'll open Chrome now and leave it open w/out Firefox) I'll post it up. 

    Oh, I'm running just the Nvidia graphics driver - no other video card software, which made me unstable.  Very strange behaviors.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-12T01:21:33+00:00

    To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

    Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

    Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

    The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

    Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

    This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

    Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

    copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

    There are two files for you to find manually:

    a) C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

    Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter the above to find results.

    b) dxdiag:  

    In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments