Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e

Anonymous
2018-05-20T20:22:39+00:00

Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.

What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-10T21:08:40+00:00

    Thank you for your reply. 

    I however sort my files with folders and the only meta data that gets messed up on my systems is the media created date of .mp4 files. And since I use programs that specifically use this meta tag, changing the file name will not have any effects.

    Nevertheless your idea is a good way to preserve your information if the meta data gets messed with constantly. I will remeber it if Microsoft continues to disimprove Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-12-14T16:34:40+00:00

    I have a working solution. None of these worked for me.

    If you are stuck with read-only field of movie media, (MP4) and want to change the "Media Created" date and time field, I'd recommend using ExifTool by Phil Harvey. https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

    copy the file into the same folder with the files you want to edit and get rid of the (-k)

    open CMD as admin and use cd to go to the folder.

    1- exiftool YOURFILE.MP4 (this shows all stored fields)

    2- exiftool -CreateDate=YYYY:MM:DDHH:MM:SS YOURFILE.MP4 (bear in mind, it doesn't take into account daylight saving)

    You can also do multiple files at once, you can find details on the tool's website.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-12-22T22:44:22+00:00

    I've just found this thread. My problem is that I have a handful only , of MP4 files where the media creation date is in the future ie 2036! So they always appear at the top of my preferred view in file explorer. and I get the "read only" error if I try to change it. Nirsoft file date changer program didnt help .  I have downloaded the EXIFtool as suggested but it isnt that user friendly as it requires command line use so hesitated,  I've tried it but can't get it to  work. The program instructions as seen  via their forum/website , don't seem to work for me. I suppose we will have to wait for the corrected Windows update or I will just rerender/convert the 2/3 affected files to new files and delete the previous ones.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-12-23T00:19:41+00:00

    I would think it would be a easy fix for Microsoft. Everything worked correctly in build 1703, repairing it in the latest builds shouldn’t be too difficult; the programing code was correct once, so moding the current version to what it “once was” should be easy for any programer. The biggest problem is getting Microsoft to acknowledge this problem or even fix it. We need more folks to complain about it. Lol

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-12-23T01:17:02+00:00

    I would think it would be a easy fix for Microsoft. Everything worked correctly in build 1703, repairing it in the latest builds shouldn’t be too difficult; the programing code was correct once, so moding the current version to what it “once was” should be easy for any programer. The biggest problem is getting Microsoft to acknowledge this problem or even fix it. We need more folks to complain about it. Lol 

    If Microsoft is unresponsive blame its new CEO.

    To him, customer care must be foreign concept.

    Miss you, Bill.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments