Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e

Anonymous
2018-05-20T20:22:39+00:00

Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.

What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T15:26:57+00:00

    I have heard the original fall update had issues with files being deleted and was removed from windows update until it was fixed.  I haven’t tried it since they’ve reintroduced it. But, I also hear 1809 doesn’t work with iCloud now.  I know the insiders edition doesn’t fully work with some of Apple’s iPhone formats yet nor iCloud. Years ago I was a programer and knowing how the process works...  if a previous version works perfectly and your new and improved coding doesn’t work with all possible situations, then you’ve messed something up and have to revisit your coding and repair the all incorrect errors and add the missing codes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-12-03T01:15:38+00:00

    I have the newest Release Build (1809 Build 17763.134, no insider) and can confirm that the problem is still persistent.

    To make it worse, the workarounds are no longer working.

    I use the Microsoft Photo app that reads the .mp4 "Media Created" info and displays files in the corresponding order. That's extremely unfortunate, because Windows 10 can not handle this most common video format, you can not change the "Media Created" info, while Windows 8 can. This has been like this for over a year now I believe.

    To solve this, I copied all my .mp4 videos that were in need of another date to a virtual Windows 8, set the date, and copied it back to Windows 10. This worked well in 2017. However, when the files are on W10 now, the "Media Created" info just reverts to its previous W10 state.

    Everything I change in W8, get's displayed correctly in W8. It however does not change anything in W10. Copied back to W8: they are displayed correct again. Copied back to W10: wrong again, and of cause, unchangeable there. This means, the work you had with your files might not be lost, W10 simply can't display it like before.

    My suggestion is that the meta data assignment has somehow been changed, so that the Windows versions can no longer communicate about the same info.

    @Herb222 I keep on hoping for a change for the better. However, knowing that Microsoft released an update that deleted user files, I'm not expecting much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-12-10T13:15:56+00:00

    iCloud issue has now been fixed. I have iCloud installed and due to the incompatibility with 1809 the update wasnt pushed to my PC. 

    Yes Apple's newer photo and video compression formats (well not really Apple's as such, but rather adopted by them) did have some serious compatibility issues when iOS 11 was released last year. However most of the kinks have been worked out, and the .HEIC (HEIF format) pic open just fine. But videos encoded with the newer H.265 compression still have issues playing. Moreover MS wants you to pay to DL this codec, so that the vids can natively play on a Windows 10 PC. Ha! So I just use VLC to play the HEVC (H.265) vids.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-12-10T13:48:37+00:00

    That sucks that the issue still persists. However, some users have mentioned the issue as being resolved. Maybe they are looking at another metadata field? 

    Either way, I've used numerous photo and vid editing software over the years and each handles the metadata differently. And there have been some disasters over the years where my carefully curated collection got messed up. One big mess up was when I was using Lightroom. So I learnt my lesson. I have started adding certain info to the file name itself. So irrespective of how many times the data gets transferred over the years to different disks, backups, multiple operating system version or types, or multiple editing programs used over the next many years to come, certain info that I like to preserve will remain. And as a rule of thumb once my file has been (very carefully) named, I do not change the name. 

    5 basic things I like to maintain - Date, Time, Location, Camera and event. So say I took a picture on

    • 10 Dec 2018
    • at a random house
    • with awesome Christmas lights
    • at 613PM
    • using a Nikon D7000

    So - 20181210 1813****43.64256-79.38705 ND7 Xmas Lights

    Date Time (24 hr format) Lat and Long Camera Event
    20181210 1813 43.64256 -79.38705 <br><br><br><br><br><br>Note: Up to 5 decimals   gives accuracy of 1meter. Which is good enough. 4 decimal points is 11 meter accuracy. ND7 Xmas lights

    Hopefully this helps others out there to better organize for the future. There are many batch renaming programs out there that can rename files based on meta data. Other info like event or any special comments you will have to set in the program itself. 

    PS: I know its a bit off topic, but I hope it helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-12-10T16:51:26+00:00

    Thanks for the input.  Whatever Microsoft removed in build 1703 to1709 disabled the ability to modify the media creation dates on mostly iPhone files; live photos which save as .MOV and some .AVI files.  Build 1703 worked perfectly.  1709 gives the "read only error" message.  I'm using the insiders preview now and the error is "not implemented" If you remember when windows 10 first came out one of its features was being able to work with most media formats.  Not so nowadays.  It requires separate codecs from the store to even play .HEVC files.  1703 did not require any codecs.  I believe it's in the Metadata fields, windows isn't reading them correctly and the errors occur.  I do know that much more Metadata was being shown in build 1703 vs the latest builds.  Even iCloud for windows doesn't work anymore with the latest builds.  I'm not sure if its fixed yet or not, I haven't checked in on it lately.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments