Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e

Anonymous
2018-05-20T20:22:39+00:00

Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.

What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T07:36:04+00:00

    This is encouraging news thanks. Ill wait for the full release as the developer one is showing a few teething issues at moment. Glad to see this appears to have been addressed in an upcoming Windows update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T13:13:28+00:00

    I know it's impossible to predict, but generally how long before these developers update get released to the public?

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-19T16:55:26+00:00

    I have been using it for a few days now...  it's like a totally new version of windows 10.  So many of the nagging issues are fixed.  You can now uninstall unwanted Apps too.  Yes it's developers build... but for me, it's better than the current version that was recently released.  I'll stick with this developers build until the final version is released next year.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-02T18:37:24+00:00

    I have working on trying to fix this read only error with clean installs, preview builds and software. I recently installed version 1703 and I was totally amazed by how much faster it worked. All media files worked and generated thumbnails perfectly... even the HEVC files generated thumbnails. Then I updated it to 1803. Now HEVC no longer generated thumbnails and a Codec was needed to play them. Also the read only error happened when trying to edit media creation dates. I’m now using insiders build 18272. It’s has issues, mostly with locking up when working with  media files. It’s new error code for trying to change creation dates is 0x80004001... basicly something is missing in the OS. Microsoft had a good media handling system in build 1703. Why did they remove it in the later builds. The need for installing a codec to play HEVC files indicates they removed some of the file handling abilities. MICROSOFT PLEASE PUT IT BACK. The 1703 system worked...  1803 doesn’t!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T08:13:11+00:00

    Like some of the posts have mentioned this error is gone in the Oct 2018 update. However if you dont have the update yet, or dont want to install it, then use the "bulk file changer" utility from Nir Soft. Its a free download. It runs as a standalone i.e. no installation required. It'll change the Date created, Date modified and Date accessed attributes among others. However it will NOT change the "Media Created" property of the file. 

    There are other such utilities out there. But using the bulk file changer is a quick way to figure out if something else is up with your system. Its only approx 150kb in size.

    Best of luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments