Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e

Anonymous
2018-05-20T20:22:39+00:00

Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.

What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-02T20:45:56+00:00

    As I mentioned in my original question, I start experiencing the issue with error 0xc00d3e8e, after the last major windows update received earlier this May - I was literally watching the update taking place! My update history indicates it as "Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1803" received in May 14. In the Windows Update panel, my pc is being reported as "Up-to-date" but if I check for updates I do receive a notification to install "2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100403)".

    What the heck????

    Anyway, the issue was not present before an update performed earlier in May 2018.

    I am installing the new update and I will get back to you. But I have yet to receive an answer as to what happened with all my mp4 and mov dates previously set by me in the "Media Created" property of the file, nor to why suddenly that certain property is locked against any attempt to set it again AND to why does it report random, erroneous dates.

    UPDATE: My PC i now Windows 10, Version 1803 OS Build 17134.81.

    The problem still persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-03T22:15:48+00:00

    I too have the same problem and am also using Windows 10, Version 1803 OS Build 17134.81.

    I know that "Media created" is not a file attribute, but rather metadata part of the .MOV file in my case.

    When this "Media created" metadata date is available then Windows uses this as the file "Date" (and not "Date created" or "Date modified).

    Prior to the last major upgrade Windows 10 could update this file metadata for .MOV and .mp4 files, but this is no longer the case.

    I also get the same error if I click "Remove Properties and Personal Information" link selecting either the remove all or remove selected properties.

    Please can Microsoft acknowledge this is a problem.

    Screenshot attached.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-06T16:44:59+00:00

    Hi Vibraman,

    Seeing the number of people reporting the issue, We encourage you to submit a feedback using the Feedback Hub to directly report the issue to our Developer Team. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.   

    In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:  

    1. On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app
    2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback
    3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory
    4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done
    5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit
    6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub
    7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear)
    8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share
    9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>)

    For other queries, you're just one post away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-19T18:58:49+00:00

    I have the same problem on my Windows 10 machine. I copied the MP4 over to a thumb drive and transferred them to a Windows 7 machine and changed the properties fine on the Windows 7 machine. I don't know if you have a Windows 7 machine available, but if you do, try that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-07-01T21:27:59+00:00

    Hi John,

    I just found your post after encountering the problem myself.

    What I'm seeing on my machine is that some MP4 files (not all) do not display the Media Created date, and attempting to set it now gives an error as you describe.

    I tried copying one of the problem files to a Windows 8 machine and found that it still had it's original date information and the date could be changed.

    So, I'm letting you know this because it seems your data is probably intact, but not being read correctly. You might want to do a similar check yourself before making any significant changes to your data.

    My workaround is going to be to set the date in a Virtual Machine running a version of Windows that does not have this problem - hopefully they fix this soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments