Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e

Anonymous
2018-05-20T20:22:39+00:00

Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.

What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-06T16:44:59+00:00

    Hi Vibraman,

    Seeing the number of people reporting the issue, We encourage you to submit a feedback using the Feedback Hub to directly report the issue to our Developer Team. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.   

    In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:  

    1. On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app
    2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback
    3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory
    4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done
    5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit
    6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub
    7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear)
    8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share
    9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>)

    For other queries, you're just one post away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-03T22:15:48+00:00

    I too have the same problem and am also using Windows 10, Version 1803 OS Build 17134.81.

    I know that "Media created" is not a file attribute, but rather metadata part of the .MOV file in my case.

    When this "Media created" metadata date is available then Windows uses this as the file "Date" (and not "Date created" or "Date modified).

    Prior to the last major upgrade Windows 10 could update this file metadata for .MOV and .mp4 files, but this is no longer the case.

    I also get the same error if I click "Remove Properties and Personal Information" link selecting either the remove all or remove selected properties.

    Please can Microsoft acknowledge this is a problem.

    Screenshot attached.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-02T20:45:56+00:00

    As I mentioned in my original question, I start experiencing the issue with error 0xc00d3e8e, after the last major windows update received earlier this May - I was literally watching the update taking place! My update history indicates it as "Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1803" received in May 14. In the Windows Update panel, my pc is being reported as "Up-to-date" but if I check for updates I do receive a notification to install "2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100403)".

    What the heck????

    Anyway, the issue was not present before an update performed earlier in May 2018.

    I am installing the new update and I will get back to you. But I have yet to receive an answer as to what happened with all my mp4 and mov dates previously set by me in the "Media Created" property of the file, nor to why suddenly that certain property is locked against any attempt to set it again AND to why does it report random, erroneous dates.

    UPDATE: My PC i now Windows 10, Version 1803 OS Build 17134.81.

    The problem still persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-02T11:45:23+00:00

    It looks like your computer is still running on version 17134.48. I would like to inform you that Windows 10 version 17134.81 has been released last May 23rd. Please update your computer to the latest build and see if the issue will persist.

    You can check for updates by pressing the Windows and I keys simultaneously then click on Update & Security. Under Windows Update, click on Check for updates.

    Update us on the result.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-01T16:55:01+00:00

    Thanks for the update. To isolate the issue, please answer the questions below:

    • What's the current build and version of your Windows computer? Please type in winver in Cortana to determine the current build and version of your Windows computer.
    • Are only .mp4 files are affected? What about other file formats?
    • Do you have full permissions on the file?

    For now, let's create another user account and see if the issue will persist. Click on this link on how to Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.

    Let us know how it goes.

    • Current build: Windows 10, Version 1803 OS Build 17134.48
    • mp4 and mov files are definitely affected. wmv ones are still acting normally, retaining all set properties and still subjected to change at will.
    • Always had before. Why should that had to change somehow? Anyway, being the only user of my pc I have an administrator account and the administrator group still has full control as I see in the security tab. On the other hand, any account belonging to the "user" group, seems to have only Read& execute, and Read privileges only.

    Now, do I have to go through creating a whole new account? I definitely don't want to have any more user-stuff clutter on my system disk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments