Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e

Anonymous
2018-05-20T20:22:39+00:00

Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.

What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T19:49:06+00:00

    My computer is doing the same; changing the dates on .mp4, .MOV, etc.  If you have google drive, you can change the dates on it, but the computer still gives the incorret date with read only properties. Definately a windows 10 glitch. It will need a update or patch to fix it. I’ve tried everything, nothing will fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-12T00:06:39+00:00

    Still an issue on August 11th and still no feedback from anybody... This is impacting all MOV files, and it is not limited to import only, it is also noticeable on simple copy from USB device.

    Orignal file:

    Copied file:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-26T05:29:21+00:00

    Dear Microsoft

    This is still an issue as of July 25th.

    It really isn't appropriate to ask us to report things using Cortana.  Why would we log onto this board at all?

    Also, most of us run automatic updates.  So, an answer like "please try the latest update" is also not that helpful with this many people having the issue.

    I used to be able to remove properties and personal information from files like MOV files from my iPhone by selecting all of the properties and clicking remove.  Now, this read-only property - Date Created - causes that to fail too.  You have to select all properties and then unclick "Date Created" or you get an error "The property is read only" and an error code of c00d3e8e.

    1. Rebooting doesn't help
    2. Running sfc /scannow doesn't help
    3. Running explorer shell as administrator doesn't help

    I've read that doing a repair install helps but have not confirmed this.  For now, I'm just avoiding that property.

    How much more information is needed to troubleshoot this?  Is there a ticket number?  Is anyone working on it?  

    Thanks

    Jack

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-01T21:27:59+00:00

    Hi John,

    I just found your post after encountering the problem myself.

    What I'm seeing on my machine is that some MP4 files (not all) do not display the Media Created date, and attempting to set it now gives an error as you describe.

    I tried copying one of the problem files to a Windows 8 machine and found that it still had it's original date information and the date could be changed.

    So, I'm letting you know this because it seems your data is probably intact, but not being read correctly. You might want to do a similar check yourself before making any significant changes to your data.

    My workaround is going to be to set the date in a Virtual Machine running a version of Windows that does not have this problem - hopefully they fix this soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-19T18:58:49+00:00

    I have the same problem on my Windows 10 machine. I copied the MP4 over to a thumb drive and transferred them to a Windows 7 machine and changed the properties fine on the Windows 7 machine. I don't know if you have a Windows 7 machine available, but if you do, try that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments