I would hate going back to windows 7.... it doesn't have codecs for any .mp4 formats. I have found that Adobe Bridge will change the dates to the correct date, but you have to enter it in the "origin date box". It seems to work well. As you can see I was able to enter the correct date for this .AVI file that can't be done on windows 10 in its current state. This file had the origin date of 08/2018 before I edited it. Nero has a photo viewer programs in its suite, but its based on Windows File Explorer, so it can't change any dates either. The disadvantage of using Adobe Bridge is you have to do each file individually... a real pain in the rear when you have 1000's of pictures to work on!
Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e
Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.
What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2018-09-26T15:35:45+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-09-26T12:09:31+00:00 I am also having the problem and have yet to find a work around. I did try copying the files to a windows 7 PC, and seemed to be able to edit the data, but when I copied them back the media created date was back to showing 02/06/2036, and windows was using that date in its sort.
Yes, that is my experience as well and I should have been clearer about that in my previous post.
Windows 7/8 will allow you to put the correct date in, but Windows 10 will still read the date incorrectly, either displaying the wrong date (for me it is usually the current date) or a blank field.
The point about using Windows 7/8 as a workaround is you can set the date, repair corrupted date information and/or confirm that the dates in your collection have not been lost (this saves you going on a wild goose chase trying to correct dates that look broken but are not).
When you return the file to Windows 10, the date is still there and it remains correct, but you cannot see it or use it in File Explorer. So, you cannot use it for searches until the bug in Windows 10 is fixed, but at least you have created and maintained valid data.
Third party software should still be able to use the date correctly, but I have not yet found any third party software that can set it.
I have reported the problem on Feedback Hub, but there is no indication that they are "looking into it".
I am hoping to get a reply soon from the author of MP3tag: I have explained the issue, asked if MP3tag supports writing the Created Date field (by setting up a currently undocumented user-defined field) or whether it will be implemented at some point in the future.
This is very disappointing, because so many developers refuse to take metadata seriously despite it being a mission critical requirement.
-
Anonymous
2018-09-26T11:12:34+00:00 I am also having the problem and have yet to find a work around. I did try copying the files to a windows 7 PC, and seemed to be able to edit the data, but when I copied them back the media created date was back to showing 02/06/2036, and windows was using that date in its sort.
-
Anonymous
2018-09-21T00:35:20+00:00 I have the same problem. Typical Microsoft - no action.
The gurus at Microsoft have not defined the problem in the first place. That is why they cannot solve it. I found a work-around after installing cumulative update (KB4464218), which suits my purpose anyway. Now I can edit properties for MOV, MP4, WMV video files. Cannot delete or edit the media created date.
-
Anonymous
2018-09-20T13:08:29+00:00 I have the same problem. Typical Microsoft - no action.