Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e

Anonymous
2018-05-20T20:22:39+00:00

Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.

What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-13T17:27:51+00:00

    Do we know if this only affects MP4? Do other video formats show the same issue? I could try and convert my MTS to a different format and see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-13T17:18:13+00:00

    I have tried so many different things to fix the problem. Software that is supposed to edit the creation date,  date modified... etc wont work. What I definatly have discovered is that only the media creation date is locked. I have been able to edit any of the entries with these files. But, try to edit or remove the creation date, the error will show up. It has to be some sort of fault with windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-12T22:35:15+00:00

    Same problem for me too. Was driving me mad until I found this thread.  I had converted an MTS video to MP4 and the "Media Created" property was filled in on the new MP4 with today's date, whereas it's empty on the MTS.

    iCloud Photos uses this date over date modified or date created, so all my converted videos are showing as today!

       

    And there's no way to clear the Media Created date, because you get the error as below:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-26T23:42:38+00:00

    I would be nice if microsoft would fix all these file handling issues. It would seem they would make each version of windows an improvement over the last one, instead of making changes that can corrupt files or make them not useable or editable. Its a frustrating problem. It probable wont be fixed untill they decide to make a Windows 11 version (I’m sure it will be called something else). I tried using Windows 7 with these files and the file editing does work correctly. But then there’s other issues using 7... codecs, drivers and other stuff. Too bad microsoft went down the wrong path with windows 8, it could of been an awesome system using the best of 7 and the features of 10. Just a thought.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-09-26T18:01:49+00:00

    I would always recommend Windows 8.1 over 7 for better media type support, better security, etc.

    It's irritating this is a regression bug: earlier versions of Windows 10 do not have the problem, but updates are mandatory and you can't opt out.

    Regression bugs sometimes do not get fixed: Windows Vista allowed you to add ratings and comments to URL shortcuts, but this was broken in Windows 7 onwards and has never been fixed (you get a spurious permissions error when you try).

    Another gotcha: you used to be able to search/filter image/media files in File Explorer, then select the results in the Search Pane, right click and update the metadata. So, if you spelled someone's name wrong, you could search an entire drive to find all affected files and right-click them in the Search pane to correct the tags.

    That ability is broken from Windows 8 onwards: when you tag files from the search pane, the total length of all tags is restricted to a much lower limit than usual, so tags get silently truncated and/or deleted. This is a bug that can cause immense damage because you can bulk update tags, have them corrupted, then fail to notice your loss until after all your good backups have been overwritten with the corrupted files. Again, reported, but not fixed (although I haven't tested it recently).

    Also, take care using Adobe products: Photoshop still has a serious metadata corruption bug that I reported in 2003 (as of 2017 when I quit my subscription after Affinity Photo became available on PC). I engaged in correspondence with a support person, provided sample files, was told it would be looked into, but nothing was done. I suspect other products such as Bridge may have the same problem (if they share the same code base), but I am not 100% certain.

    The bug has the following characteristics (when updating metadata or saving a file after editing):

    • Title field is copied into and overwrites Subject field.
    • Fields containing Unicode characters are corrupted to ASCII "tofu". So, if your tags contain foreign language place names and personal names, they are destroyed.
    • Tags are truncated to an arbitrary short length (I can't remember the length, might have been something like 32 or 64 characters). So, if you have hierarchical tags, they get truncated (destroyed).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments