Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e

Anonymous
2018-05-20T20:22:39+00:00

Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.

What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-10T13:15:56+00:00

    iCloud issue has now been fixed. I have iCloud installed and due to the incompatibility with 1809 the update wasnt pushed to my PC. 

    Yes Apple's newer photo and video compression formats (well not really Apple's as such, but rather adopted by them) did have some serious compatibility issues when iOS 11 was released last year. However most of the kinks have been worked out, and the .HEIC (HEIF format) pic open just fine. But videos encoded with the newer H.265 compression still have issues playing. Moreover MS wants you to pay to DL this codec, so that the vids can natively play on a Windows 10 PC. Ha! So I just use VLC to play the HEVC (H.265) vids.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-12-03T01:15:38+00:00

    I have the newest Release Build (1809 Build 17763.134, no insider) and can confirm that the problem is still persistent.

    To make it worse, the workarounds are no longer working.

    I use the Microsoft Photo app that reads the .mp4 "Media Created" info and displays files in the corresponding order. That's extremely unfortunate, because Windows 10 can not handle this most common video format, you can not change the "Media Created" info, while Windows 8 can. This has been like this for over a year now I believe.

    To solve this, I copied all my .mp4 videos that were in need of another date to a virtual Windows 8, set the date, and copied it back to Windows 10. This worked well in 2017. However, when the files are on W10 now, the "Media Created" info just reverts to its previous W10 state.

    Everything I change in W8, get's displayed correctly in W8. It however does not change anything in W10. Copied back to W8: they are displayed correct again. Copied back to W10: wrong again, and of cause, unchangeable there. This means, the work you had with your files might not be lost, W10 simply can't display it like before.

    My suggestion is that the meta data assignment has somehow been changed, so that the Windows versions can no longer communicate about the same info.

    @Herb222 I keep on hoping for a change for the better. However, knowing that Microsoft released an update that deleted user files, I'm not expecting much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T15:26:57+00:00

    I have heard the original fall update had issues with files being deleted and was removed from windows update until it was fixed.  I haven’t tried it since they’ve reintroduced it. But, I also hear 1809 doesn’t work with iCloud now.  I know the insiders edition doesn’t fully work with some of Apple’s iPhone formats yet nor iCloud. Years ago I was a programer and knowing how the process works...  if a previous version works perfectly and your new and improved coding doesn’t work with all possible situations, then you’ve messed something up and have to revisit your coding and repair the all incorrect errors and add the missing codes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T08:13:11+00:00

    Like some of the posts have mentioned this error is gone in the Oct 2018 update. However if you dont have the update yet, or dont want to install it, then use the "bulk file changer" utility from Nir Soft. Its a free download. It runs as a standalone i.e. no installation required. It'll change the Date created, Date modified and Date accessed attributes among others. However it will NOT change the "Media Created" property of the file. 

    There are other such utilities out there. But using the bulk file changer is a quick way to figure out if something else is up with your system. Its only approx 150kb in size.

    Best of luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-02T18:37:24+00:00

    I have working on trying to fix this read only error with clean installs, preview builds and software. I recently installed version 1703 and I was totally amazed by how much faster it worked. All media files worked and generated thumbnails perfectly... even the HEVC files generated thumbnails. Then I updated it to 1803. Now HEVC no longer generated thumbnails and a Codec was needed to play them. Also the read only error happened when trying to edit media creation dates. I’m now using insiders build 18272. It’s has issues, mostly with locking up when working with  media files. It’s new error code for trying to change creation dates is 0x80004001... basicly something is missing in the OS. Microsoft had a good media handling system in build 1703. Why did they remove it in the later builds. The need for installing a codec to play HEVC files indicates they removed some of the file handling abilities. MICROSOFT PLEASE PUT IT BACK. The 1703 system worked...  1803 doesn’t!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments