Media Created property not showing-disappeared and cannot be set. Error 0xc00d3e8e

Anonymous
2018-05-20T20:22:39+00:00

Ever since the last major windows 10 update, I cannot set a date at the Media Created property of any of my mp4 files. Every time I try to do it, I get an error code 0xc00d3e8e along with a message telling me that "The property is read-only". To add insult to injury, it seems that all my mp4 files have somehow lost the said date, tediously set by me previously.

What is wrong with you Windows guys????? How do I get back my hard work of archiving my media files???????

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-06T11:25:50+00:00

    I am absolutely amazed by the work you put into that and you have my thanks!

    However, I wouldn't call an obvious OS-fail solved when there's just a workaround with 9 steps and I can not do that for all of my > 200 Videos.

    So please Microsoft, do not consider this solved...

    Might I add that for .zip files and such, I highly recommend 7-zip. It's open source and freeware, while WinZip is neither.

    Again, you have my deepest thanks for your reply and the troubles you put yourself into!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-06T02:45:41+00:00

    WORKAROUND!

    This problem has been driving me crazy and I was glad to discover I wasn't the only one. Apple iOS devices use the "Media Created" date from Windows to sort videos in iCloud, so all my videos being from "yesterday" was quite annoying.

    Let me say I have tried EVERYTHING that Google search has recommended, and I do mean everything. Loading from USB, chkdsk, Admin cmd prompts, new Windows account, closing and reopening explorer.exe, and on and on... Nothing but the below instructions has worked.

    Now I am NOT a technical person so I'm making these instructions as short and easy as possible, but there is a little work involved.

    IMPORTANT: Make sure that all the files you wish to change are in the same folder in Windows. Not critical, but this will save you lots of time later. Example: I have 50 videos I need to change the dates for... Create a folder and place them all in here. This will save you lots of time in later steps.

    So here's what I did to get the Media Created date to reflect the date I wanted.

    1. Download this ExifTool by Phil Harvey
    2. Open/Extract/Unzip the file (I used a WinZip free trial or try 7-zip)
    3. Inside you find a file called "exiftool(-k)". Right click and copy the file.
    4. Head over to your C: Drive > Windows folder. Your file browser path should look something like "This PC > Local Disc (C:) > Windows. Right click and paste the exiftool here. Rename the file to "exiftool", which just removes the (-k) that it came titled as.
    5. Access your Windows 10 search (by pressing Windows key + Q). In this search bar type "cmd". This should bring up Command Prompt as a search result. Right click on it and select "Run as administrator".

    PAUSE

    Now this next part is tedious to explain so make good use of the screenshots, but once you understand the process it's really straightforward.

    ......OKAY CONTINUE!

    1. Now that your Command Prompt is open, ignore it for a moment.

    You'll need the exact file path of the files you're attempting to change the dates for. For example, for me, the .mp4 file I need to change is located in "C:\Users\srngs\Videos\Movavi". How do you get this path for your videos? Easy, right click on the file you wish to change > click properties. On the "General" tab about midway down you see a "Location:" There next to it will be the path you're looking for. Leave this Properties window open for now.

    1. I recommend you open your Notepad and paste in the following template because you will be using it quite a bit: "exiftool C:\Users\USERNAME\FOLDER\SUBFOLDER\YOURFILE.mp4 -createdate=YYYY:MM:DDHH:MM:SS YOURFILE.MP4". Without the quotes of course. What does this mean? It's instructions you will enter into the Command Prompt to force Windows to change the Media Created date for whatever file you name.

    NOTE: Make sure you enter in your own file path from Step 6, followed by \yourfilename.mp4

    1. Now back to the command prompt you opened earlier. Open it up. Paste in the template from your notepad that we got in steps 6-7. So you should have something like this:

    BEFORE

    [Now Copy + Paste your template in]

    AFTER

    EXPLANATION: As you can see, we typed exiftool to start. Followed by the location of the file we want to change:  C:\Users\srngs\Videos\Movavi

    Then I typed the files name  \1.mp4

    Next, we typed that we wanted to change the createdate, followed by the date of my choosing 2007:10:22, then the hour and lastly, the file name again 1.mp4

    So all combined I get: exiftool C:\Users\srngs\Videos\Movavi\1.mp4 -createdate=2007:10:2224:16:19 1.MP4

    1. Once you've pasted in your template, press ENTER. The prompt will cycle for a second and FINALLY....your media created date will change.

    I warned you it was tedious, and I wish Microsoft would issue an official fix but for now this is the first thing I can say actually works as a workaround. 

    At this point it becomes easy, assuming you put all your "need to change" files in the same folder you can just keep the same file path in your template and copy paste it in over and over while only changing the file names and desired dates.

    Some slightly helpful links for those who want to dive deeper, but these links wont make anything simpler that's for sure. Just stuff I found regarding this error:

    1. Error 0xC00D3E8E
    2. ExifTool: Read, Write, Edit Meta information
    3. Exiftool's website
    4. YouTube video showing Step 6 from above. (Skip to 5:50 and watch to 6:02) It's not helpful really beyond that, lol

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-31T01:11:16+00:00

    Same issue here folks.  Dig this... the problem occurs on my laptop where I keep all my OneDrive files locally stored on disk.  Not all videos are affected but anything that I have edited with say Handbrake or any video I downloaded from the iPhone is pretty much guaranteed to have this "2/6/2036 bug".

    My desktop does not have the problem however, I use the OneDrive feature within the Windows Photos app for viewing pictures and videos.

    Both of these computers have been recently formatted and had a fresh installation of Windows.  No pattern, no rhyme or reason that I can find... I'm at a loss!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-12-23T01:17:02+00:00

    I would think it would be a easy fix for Microsoft. Everything worked correctly in build 1703, repairing it in the latest builds shouldn’t be too difficult; the programing code was correct once, so moding the current version to what it “once was” should be easy for any programer. The biggest problem is getting Microsoft to acknowledge this problem or even fix it. We need more folks to complain about it. Lol 

    If Microsoft is unresponsive blame its new CEO.

    To him, customer care must be foreign concept.

    Miss you, Bill.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-12-23T00:19:41+00:00

    I would think it would be a easy fix for Microsoft. Everything worked correctly in build 1703, repairing it in the latest builds shouldn’t be too difficult; the programing code was correct once, so moding the current version to what it “once was” should be easy for any programer. The biggest problem is getting Microsoft to acknowledge this problem or even fix it. We need more folks to complain about it. Lol

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments