Local Drive E low disk space after Windows 10 April 2018 update

Anonymous
2018-05-01T16:49:34+00:00

My Dell Inspiron 15 laptop updated this morning.  After the update, I now get a popup that local drive E is low on disk space.  This drive was my recovery image drive before the update.  How do I fix this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-05-01T17:01:03+00:00

Hi TG#66,

A lot of users are seeing this new drive, it is the recovery drive, it is not meant to have a drive letter, remove the drive letter and everything will return to normal:

Click your Start Button, type cmd, then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter

diskpart

Run this command and hit Enter

list volume

Note down the letter associated with that new drive

Run these commands one at a time and hit Enter (replace X with the correct drive letter)

select volume X

remove letter=X

Close Command Prompt and restart your PC

Was this answer helpful?

600+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-19T16:58:15+00:00

    i don't understand your instruction of "select volume X".  I cannot click on anything inside this dialog box to select it.

    Same here. I am not sure what to put in for the x

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-19T17:34:57+00:00

    HI....

    Per the instructions....YOU DON'T ACTUALLY SELECT ANYTHING....at that point in the process, you actually type the words "select volume (instead of the letter "X" type the Drive Letter that you are trying to edit...in MY CASE it was "Local Disk Drive F"....so I typed "select volume F"

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-26T14:27:38+00:00

    I get the low disk drive E, but when I follow your steps the recovery drive is not the E drive.  So do I ignore the pop up that says E drive and type what comes up in the volume listing?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-26T15:12:22+00:00

    I faced the same problem and I am very much disturbed by the notifications but fortunately, the solution provided by DaveM121 was on my sight when cracking head and search and his solution perfectly worked great for my Dell Inspiron 15" laptop 5000 series.  Thank You So Much DaveM121.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments