Local Drive E low disk space after Windows 10 April 2018 update

Anonymous
2018-05-01T16:49:34+00:00

My Dell Inspiron 15 laptop updated this morning.  After the update, I now get a popup that local drive E is low on disk space.  This drive was my recovery image drive before the update.  How do I fix this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-05-01T17:01:03+00:00

Hi TG#66,

A lot of users are seeing this new drive, it is the recovery drive, it is not meant to have a drive letter, remove the drive letter and everything will return to normal:

Click your Start Button, type cmd, then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter

diskpart

Run this command and hit Enter

list volume

Note down the letter associated with that new drive

Run these commands one at a time and hit Enter (replace X with the correct drive letter)

select volume X

remove letter=X

Close Command Prompt and restart your PC

Was this answer helpful?

600+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-06T19:32:57+00:00

    Hi,

    Thanks for Advice and Executed , but Phantom Drive is showing 450mb space remaining, so i will have to disconnect all library's and  drive .

    If the Phantom drive still shows then i will execute and eliminate that drive.

    Les

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-09T19:42:47+00:00

    I get to Note down the letter associated with that new drive and dont know what to do/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-10T15:37:36+00:00

    So once you get it to tell you the drives you have and the letter accociated find the drive you are looking for ( in my case it was called E drive) and type and hit enter for the last two commands and replace (X) with the letter accociated with the drive (E) 

    Select volume X

    remove letter=X

    after you remove the letter, close command propmt and restart your PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-12T02:54:17+00:00

    Hi, Thanks for this info. I had the exact same problem with Disk E saying it was low on space so I followed your instructions and removed the letter associated with it.

    What worried me was that I thought my dvd drive used the letter e previously, and now my dvd drive won't recognise dvds.  Could this be related? How can I fix this?

    Under device manager when I click on the disk drive it says that my disk drive "wdc wd10jpvx-75jc3t0" is functioning properly and that there are no issues, but it also tells me under "events" that the device was migrated when I completed the fix for the disk e issue above.  I'm guessing they must be related.

    Anyone know how I can fix this?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments