Local Drive E low disk space after Windows 10 April 2018 update

Anonymous
2018-05-01T16:49:34+00:00

My Dell Inspiron 15 laptop updated this morning.  After the update, I now get a popup that local drive E is low on disk space.  This drive was my recovery image drive before the update.  How do I fix this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-05-01T17:01:03+00:00

Hi TG#66,

A lot of users are seeing this new drive, it is the recovery drive, it is not meant to have a drive letter, remove the drive letter and everything will return to normal:

Click your Start Button, type cmd, then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter

diskpart

Run this command and hit Enter

list volume

Note down the letter associated with that new drive

Run these commands one at a time and hit Enter (replace X with the correct drive letter)

select volume X

remove letter=X

Close Command Prompt and restart your PC

Was this answer helpful?

600+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-02T16:21:10+00:00

    This was very helpful and ended an annoyance that was driving me nuts. I was a bit put off at first by going into command prompt/run as administrator fearing I'd screw up something. But following the instructions step-by-step I managed to take fix my laptop. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-01T22:55:45+00:00

    After you get the black box type what he says and hit enter after every command and make sure you launch the black box as an admin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-01T15:35:11+00:00

    Wow thanks for the info!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-26T12:09:53+00:00

    Can you spell these directions out a little clearer, with more details.  I'm not able to follow.  When I try run as admin, a black box pops up.  Is there a video?  Sorry not very tech savy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments