Local Drive E low disk space after Windows 10 April 2018 update

Anonymous
2018-05-01T16:49:34+00:00

My Dell Inspiron 15 laptop updated this morning.  After the update, I now get a popup that local drive E is low on disk space.  This drive was my recovery image drive before the update.  How do I fix this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2018-05-01T17:01:03+00:00

Hi TG#66,

A lot of users are seeing this new drive, it is the recovery drive, it is not meant to have a drive letter, remove the drive letter and everything will return to normal:

Click your Start Button, type cmd, then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter

diskpart

Run this command and hit Enter

list volume

Note down the letter associated with that new drive

Run these commands one at a time and hit Enter (replace X with the correct drive letter)

select volume X

remove letter=X

Close Command Prompt and restart your PC

Was this answer helpful?

600+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-11T20:19:05+00:00

    Thank you! This annoyed me for several months! And finally I decided to search how to fix it. This is very helpful. I would prefer that after updates I did not have anything like this to happen (why I need to search how to fix it in the first place if everything worked before?!) but it's next best thing. So thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T21:18:39+00:00

    Thanks, that worked great and no more annoying pop ups

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-02T20:20:21+00:00

    I tried this and now my computer won't start.  How do I reverse this command?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-26T15:37:16+00:00

    That doesn't answer the question.  I said I am getting the pop up for an E drive, but when I volume list in command window the E is not my recovery.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments