Your Windows license will expire soon. You need to activate Windows in settings.

Anonymous
2018-04-05T02:42:32+00:00

Hi, my name is Niya and yesterday I went on my computer so I could watch some YouTube and when I started up my computer a message popped up saying: Your Windows License will expire soon. You need to activate Windows in settings. I clicked close and it popped up again. I decided to go to settings and I saw it said Windows is activated using your organization's activation service. A few month's ago about September or October I got my computer's hard drive replaced and they people who repaired my computer installed Windows 10 Pro on it. Once I got my computer repaired I installed the Windows 10 creators update. I do not think that caused the problem. My Windows 10 Pro is activated because I checked in settings and by going to This PC>Right clicking on This PC>Properties. It says Windows is activated. I am very confused on why I am getting the message. I do not own a copy of Windows 10. The people who fixed my computer and replaced my hard drive installed Windows 10 on my computer. Is there any way I could fix my computer and stop the message from popping up and not have my Windows License expire? Here are some pictures of the message. 

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-05T11:43:17+00:00

    Ok. It's strange that they would have used a volume license when they installed Windows. Unfortunately you'll need a new Windows key.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-05T04:19:53+00:00

    Hello,

    I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help.

    General guide for Activation error in Windows:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/10738/...

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12440/...

    To better diagnose the issue,

    Right click Start>Command Prompt-Admin and type in the following command:

    slmgr.vbs /dlv

    If you have Powershell instead of Command Prompt Run these in order:

    cmd.exe

    slmgr.vbs /dlv

    You will get a window, take a screenshot using snipping tool and paste it it next reply.

    How to get a screenshot and post back:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

    Please let us know if you need any assistance in posting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-05T03:30:54+00:00

    As to the Windows 7 Backup in the Control Panel, that is a feature still remaining in Windows 10 and not indicative that it once had Windows 7 on the PC.

    Do you see a Windows 7 COA sticker on the PC anywhere with a readable Product Key shown in illustration below?

    To see if the PC shipped with Windows 8 or 8.1, install ProducKey from this link and run it to look for a BIOS-OEM key listed: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-05T03:28:19+00:00

    Insert the Generic Product Key for your version at Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Change Product Key. This will prompt it to activate with a Digital License if there is one because a Proper Upgrade from the same lower version was previously activated on that PC.

    It might also work if this is a Windows 10 PC that has an embedded Product Key in the BIOS which also has registered a Digital License in Activation Settings.

    However normally embedded Product Keys are Home version. There's a chance your PC never had any Digital License, but had an older edition of Windows that was not Upgraded, which is why the seller or a shop used the illegal Volume License Key to activate it - technically piracy and a theft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-05T03:23:53+00:00

    One more question, when i restart my computer how would it look when I have to insert the generic product key?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments