Your Windows license will expire soon. You need to activate Windows in settings.

Anonymous
2018-04-05T02:42:32+00:00

Hi, my name is Niya and yesterday I went on my computer so I could watch some YouTube and when I started up my computer a message popped up saying: Your Windows License will expire soon. You need to activate Windows in settings. I clicked close and it popped up again. I decided to go to settings and I saw it said Windows is activated using your organization's activation service. A few month's ago about September or October I got my computer's hard drive replaced and they people who repaired my computer installed Windows 10 Pro on it. Once I got my computer repaired I installed the Windows 10 creators update. I do not think that caused the problem. My Windows 10 Pro is activated because I checked in settings and by going to This PC>Right clicking on This PC>Properties. It says Windows is activated. I am very confused on why I am getting the message. I do not own a copy of Windows 10. The people who fixed my computer and replaced my hard drive installed Windows 10 on my computer. Is there any way I could fix my computer and stop the message from popping up and not have my Windows License expire? Here are some pictures of the message. 

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kapil Arya 38,491 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2019-10-25T05:00:06+00:00

    Hello,

    First, check the type of license installed on your system.

    1. Open administrative Command Prompt.
    2. Type slmgr /dlv and press Enter key.
    3. Note the Product Key Channel section Windows Script Host box:

    If it mentions OEM <method>, you’ve OEM license installed.

    If it says Retail, you’ve retail license installed.

    If it mentions GVLK, VOLUME_<method> then you’ve volume license installed. Note that GVLK stands for Generic Volume License Key.


    Retail license users facing this issue, run Activation troubleshooter:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter

    Contact Microsoft Support or license vendor, if issue still persists.

    In case if it reports that you've volume license installed, then it is not a valid license to be used by end users (correct me, if your system is part of organization). 

    In this case, you need to buy genuine license for your Windows 10.

    Hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-20T02:08:53+00:00

    My Dell notebook was Windows 7.  Microsoft told me to upgrade to Windows 10. I upgrade it from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Last week I reset Windows 10. Today I found that “your Windows license will expire soon” ,” You need to active Windows  in settings”. Could you please tell me what should I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-05T15:45:33+00:00

    My computer on my old hard drive before I got it replaced it came with either Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 and I think that was a Digital License Key I am not completely sure but I will look for a sticker.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-05T20:42:54+00:00

    Yes, Niya. You can buy a Windows 10 Pro key, from Microsoft Store if you want, or another store as long as it's a major retailer who back their purchases so you don't get ripped off. Then insert the key after removing the volume license key.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-05T20:01:08+00:00

    If I went out to a store and bought Windows 10 pro and use that product key will that work or will I have to wipe my computer and install it fresh and do I have to have Windows 10 home for my computer since this is my personal computer or can I still use Windows 10 pro?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments