The Windows 10 that was forced on me is so bloated it has no performance and updates will not work - can I get 8?

Anonymous
2018-08-16T17:14:07+00:00

I am using Asus T200A which is a lightweight PC/Tablet

Windows is 10.0.16299 Build 16299

There are too many problems to list

The system has got so slow and bloated with Windows software with less tha a Gig left on my C: drive, that when I want to open a new application, I have to close down the application I am using,  clean everything possible out of system and then sometimes restart (20 minutes +)

Screen rotation has disappeared

The final straw is that for the last few weeks every time I try to restart my PC it tries to install KB4338825

This is the process :-

RESTARTING

after  around  90 seconds    “Getting Windows Ready    Don’t turn off your computer”

after around   10 minutes    “Restarting”

after a few minutes  I can select Windows 10

“Scanning and repairung drive (:c)”

after another 5 minutes

PC restarts

“Getting Windows ready    Don’t turn off you computer”

When Windows starts again

Windows Update states  “Update status     -   Your device is up to date”

BUT  if I select check for updates  I get  -

Updates are available

‘”2018-07 Cumaltive Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86-based Systems (KB4338825)”

Status: Installing  [    starts at 0   reaches 100%   ]

then  Status: awaiting restart

If I select ‘resart’   then the whole process starts over  -    another 20 minutes or so

Update History reports 0x80073712  - file needed by Windows Update is damaged or missing

Ran Troubleshooter    -  results Potential Windows Update Database error detected

Ran sfc /scannow     -    Windows Protection did not find any integrity violations

:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.492

[===========================83.7%================          ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

and then ……

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.492

[===========================83.7%================          ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The T200A has 32 Gig C: drive, a 500 Gig iwhen attached to base station and any numer of external usb drives from 14 gig t0 10Tb

Even with everything possible moved off the C: drive there is only around 800 Mb to 1.5 Gig left

I have spent too many hours trying to get windows 10 to work on this PC

I would have loaded Linux in preference to this useless system BUT there are programmes I need to run that will only work under windows

Is  there

1)   a way to use another drive for the system

or 2) A light version of windows 10

or 3) a way of deleting all of the bloatware  (X-Box, Microsoft Edge, Grove Music, Maps  etc, etc) to free up space

If not, please give me instructions on how  to return to  Windows 8 that was working perfectly( I was forced onto Windows 10)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-26T13:07:19+00:00

    You're welcome Mike. 

    The two differences I saw from what Ms. Bradley had done and what you have already tried is that she temporarily disabled windows update services and deleted the Software Distribution folder (for more space). You have 2.5 tb available!

    Ka-ching indeed.

    Good luck with the down <up> grade to W7  :-)

    Sorry I can't help further, unfortunately I'm not in the same class as some of the other users who have contributed to this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-26T13:02:47+00:00

    Hi again DP

    I have just noticed that the Patch Lady post was about trying to update to version 1709

    I am on build 16299,already updated to version 1709 (it took a long time)

    The problem is that it is impossible to update many PCs including my Asus to version 1803, even though Microsoft will try again an again and again ad nauseum

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-26T11:11:54+00:00

    Sorry,

    Picture got left out of last post

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-26T11:07:12+00:00

    Incidentally

    Microsoft's published minimum requirements for Windows 10

    Processor =  1 GHz or faster

    RAM         =  1 GB for 32-bit OS

    HD space =  16 GB for 32-bit OS

    Display     =  90 x 600

    Asus T200TA specifications

    Processor  =  1.46GHz Quad Core    

    RAM          =  2 GB LPDDR3

    Storage      =  32GB eMMC and 500GB HDD

    Display      =  1366 x 768

    .........................and for your problem grasping the sale of software licensing, lets try a picture

    We won’t differentiate between dealer (shop) and manufacturer as it doesn’t matter a fig about any mark-ups on the Windows OEM price. It is all about how much of my hard earned cash ends up in Microsoft’s a/c

    End result ?

    License has not cost the dealer/manufacturer one brass cent

    the license has cost me $50. Microsoft has that $50

    Can you now see how the manufacturer/dealer has $450 of my money and Microsoft have $50 ????

    There is nothing wrong with this. This is how software companies make money. They do not make a penny from PC manufacturers or shops. They make it from end users (me, you, businesses, governments etc etc)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-26T10:39:32+00:00

    Thanks DP

    I have followed the link. I think that I may have already tried that process, but I will give it another shot

    That link, and further onward links do highlight just how many recently purchased, current standard spec, state of the art netbooks are being trashed by Microsoft's attempts at trying to force unwanted updates.

    I find it incredible that M$ have not taken the relatively simple step of adapting their install service to acknowledge the existence of attached or external storage (My Asus has over 2.5 Terabyes available).  Ah, but of course, that would mean that we would not have to by more PCs with more Windows licenses. For every PC that Windows 'outgrows', they can ring up another Windows sale.  cha-ding !

    But I for one, will not be buying another Windows license from them

    I think my course of action now will be to load Linux permanently onto the Asus. It flies with even Mint installed. LibreOffice spreadsheets load, save and calculate under Mint about 15 times faster than Excel under Windows 10 

    But I will still need some form of windows for our legacy application (note 'application' not 'App'). I will probably load a 'borrowed' copy of Windows 7 as dual boot onto one of our power PCs

    Thanks again for the head's up DP

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments