Display brightness at max after 1803 update

Anonymous
2018-05-03T16:42:57+00:00

Hello!

I upgraded my laptop over the weekend to Windows 10 1803. I noticed my display was set to max brightness. I am unable to use the F keys to lower the brightness. I am also unable to change the brightness in the display settings. My drivers are all updated. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I have a Toshiba Satellite with the Intel (R) HD Graphics.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-27T12:36:58+00:00

    This solution from Ferdz Amp solved my problem.

    For those still encountering this issue, I recommend that you follow these steps and see if the issue persists:

    1. In Windows start search box, type in regedit and hit Enter.
    2. Navigate to the following key:
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 /0000
    3. Double-click the item of FeatureTestControl, set the hexadecimal value to "fb20", and click OK.
    4. Reboot your computer to reflect the changes.

    Registry Disclaimer: The steps mentioned here includes system registry modification. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow the steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: Article ID 322756.

    Let me know how it goes.

    The written location for FeatureTestControl was different on my system. The location was:

    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001

    Please be aware that after doing this edit, selecting the lowest level of brightness will turn off your screen. This also means that if you are running on battery (laptop) and you select the power mode "Best battery life" or Windows automatically switches to "Best battery life" upon unplugging the charger, your screen will be turned OFF! This is not a major concern since you can just turn up the brightness to the next lowest level via the FN+F3 (key combo might differ on other laptop brands) keyboard control shortcut and the screen will be turned back ON.

    Taken from here:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/screen-brightness-stuck-at-maximum-after-updating/2c364180-cab4-4704-b07f-701a1bac89a5?tm=1525126129348

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T13:38:57+00:00

    Hi. I solved the problem restoring windows 10 to 1709. Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-09T12:57:07+00:00

    For me, nothing helps on my emachines e730 with i7 620m.

    Please, help me solve the problem. I can not work at maximum brightening :(

    Microsoft certainly wants to withdraw older laptop models from use.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-03T16:55:55+00:00

    Press Windows key + X

    Click Device Manager

    Expand Display adapters

    Right click the current display adapter

    Click Properties

    Click Driver tab

    Click Rollback driver if the option is available

    If not

    Right click the current display adapter

    Click Uninstall

    Check the box that says, "Delete the driver software for this device.”

    Exit Device Manager

    Restart

    Go to Start -> Settings -> Update & security, then Check for updates and install any available updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-03T18:18:29+00:00

    Andre-

    Ok, I tried this. It installed the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I checked for updates and Windows Update claims my system is up-to-date.

    So now I have a basic display driver and I'm still unable to modulate the screen brightness. Any other ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments