Windows 10 - Freezing on startup after 5-10 minutes

Anonymous
2018-04-15T19:40:28+00:00

basically I just moved to a new house and came into another issue with my computer. Before, the original issue was that my computer would freeze if I go idle from the keyboard and mouse after 8-10+ minutes. Weird thing about it is that it never happened whenver I was on the game “Fortnite” main menu screen. I couldnt get any real answers for my issue.

The day I move in, I setup my computer and it worked perfectly other than the idle freezing issue. Next day, I get on and reboot my pc becuase I couldnt leave it on due to the idle freezing if I was sleeping. But I get on for 5-10 minutes opening discord, spotify, and a game and it freezes on me. I reboot the Pc and it does it the second time. 

Now I have an even worse issue. I don’t know how to fix it at all. And if I did find there issue, I wouldn’t know where to start. 

If I load the pc in Safe Mode, it works perfectly fine. Doesn’t freeze after a couple of minutes and it doesn’t freeze if I go idle either. 

I tried to factory reset my computer but by the time it reaches 40-50% it freezes and I can’t do anything to it basically. 

Also, if you can help me and solve my issue. I’ll really appreciate it. The last post I did was with a guy helping but took him 1-2 days for a reply which I need fast and detailed replys. 

He explained to me that certain things we will do but never said if I should be doing it in Normal Startup or Safe Mode. 

Please help

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-16T05:11:18+00:00

    Ok the last step you explained if nothing else worked try the media creation tool. I decided i'll install the current version for now and update to the new one coming out in a couple of days but I'm confused on which one you're wanting? And yea it found damaged files 3 of them and said it repaired them. 

    and as for this, I don't know what you even mean by that like shedding, installs, endless issues from running something of a factory or upgrade installs and so on:

    But remember that Factory or Upgrade installs are inferior installs which most enthusiasts won't even run because they'd expect endless issues. Consider now or later doing the Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible install that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki... 

    There is also an automated Refresh that reinstalls WIndows while shedding corrupting factory bloatware, saves your files, but doesn't clear the drive to get it cleanest: https://www.howtogeek.com/265054/how-to-easily-... 

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved. 

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Greg Carmack 24,785 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-16T05:18:56+00:00

    Choose Download Tool Now in your screenshot to download and install the Media Creation Tool.

    Then open the tool and choose Upgrade this PC Now.

    Make sure your files are backed up as they should always be.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-16T05:22:17+00:00

    Uhhh I don't think I have backed up files. And this this backup like to save my downloaded files and such? If  don't backup anything it's going to basically factory reset the pc right? if so I don't really mind it doing it but unless if I can backup the files I would so would I need a flash drive of some sort? I don't have one I believe. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Greg Carmack 24,785 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-16T05:27:45+00:00

    Your files should always be backed up because the hard drive can die at any time. Some suggestions to help ease into this habit:

    You can drag 5gb for free into OneDrive app to store in the cloud where they are safe from fire and theft.

    Google Drive has a new Backup that allows you to choose User folders (Documents, Pictures, etc.) to sync up to 15g for free to their cloud. https://www.google.com/intl/en-GB_ALL/drive/dow...

    Or you can drag or copy them to another hard drive, USB external or flash drive.

    Here's how to drag, copy or move large groups of files: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2086566/the-man...

    A better file backup to external disk is free Macrium which is the choice of the experts:

    http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/B...

    Besides your files you should back up a System Image to use in place of reinstall in 20 minutes. The best free alternative is Macrium: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-ref...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-16T05:31:18+00:00

    Which one am I using what you linked? Lol you go way too into in explaining. I just need a link and explanation like..

    "download this, it will backup your files"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments