Windows 10 - Freezing on startup after 5-10 minutes

Anonymous
2018-04-15T19:40:28+00:00

basically I just moved to a new house and came into another issue with my computer. Before, the original issue was that my computer would freeze if I go idle from the keyboard and mouse after 8-10+ minutes. Weird thing about it is that it never happened whenver I was on the game “Fortnite” main menu screen. I couldnt get any real answers for my issue.

The day I move in, I setup my computer and it worked perfectly other than the idle freezing issue. Next day, I get on and reboot my pc becuase I couldnt leave it on due to the idle freezing if I was sleeping. But I get on for 5-10 minutes opening discord, spotify, and a game and it freezes on me. I reboot the Pc and it does it the second time. 

Now I have an even worse issue. I don’t know how to fix it at all. And if I did find there issue, I wouldn’t know where to start. 

If I load the pc in Safe Mode, it works perfectly fine. Doesn’t freeze after a couple of minutes and it doesn’t freeze if I go idle either. 

I tried to factory reset my computer but by the time it reaches 40-50% it freezes and I can’t do anything to it basically. 

Also, if you can help me and solve my issue. I’ll really appreciate it. The last post I did was with a guy helping but took him 1-2 days for a reply which I need fast and detailed replys. 

He explained to me that certain things we will do but never said if I should be doing it in Normal Startup or Safe Mode. 

Please help

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Greg Carmack 24,785 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-16T02:15:21+00:00

    I gave you the steps to go over the install most thoroughly. Go back and perform all the steps I gave which are in the dozens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-16T02:24:08+00:00

    Can you re-link it again please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Greg Carmack 24,785 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-16T02:47:35+00:00

    I'm not going to write out all of the steps I gave you again. Please go back to the top of the thread and treat it like a checklist to complete all steps, missing none. If you have questions about how to perform a Step then ask back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-16T04:54:28+00:00

    If damaged files are reported run up to 3 separate times to try to repair files. 

    If irreparable files remain then the image file they are compared against may need repair.  To determine this run:

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

    If Component Store corruption is detected, this will tell you if it is irreparable or can be repaired:

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

    If the image is reparable, run:

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    If it prompts for Sources file, mount or insert Windows 10 installation media, locate install.wim or .esd file in Sources folder, substitute it’s path in the following command:

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1

    (for example: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\Sources\Install.wim:1)

    or if you have an .esd file

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:Full Path to install.esd file:1

    It may take some fiddling to get these correct.  Sometimes inserted media won't be read, but mounting the ISO file itself (by double-clicking) to use as source will. Proofread closely, watch spacing, ask back if you need help. 

    this makes no sense at all to me literally i'm beyond lost. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Greg Carmack 24,785 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-16T05:01:49+00:00

    So you ran System File Checker and it found damaged System files?

    Because DISM is only run if the image is reported to be bad and that image is only needed to provide the pristine files to repair damaged ones. So if SFC found no damaged files then it's not needed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments