Error 0x8007016A: The Cloud File provider is not running

Anonymous
2018-05-02T20:33:44+00:00

After some problems I reset OneDrive and moved the folder to another location (on another partition).

I pointed OneDrive setting to this new empty folder called OneDrive.

All my files (385GB) are downloading now to this new (empty) OneDrive folder.

I don't want to leave anything just in the cloud on demand.

I don't trust OneDrive anymore.

The downloading (syncing) is very very slow.

While syncing I get the message that there will be 2 copies of the same file created.

The name of the second file has the name of my PC attached.

The OneDrive files are syncing to an empty folder.

How can there be two versions of the same file????

I have to stop the synchronizing before my files get corrupted.

Second problem!

In the old location of the OneDrive folder there is still an "old" folder with all my files.

This folder is not part of OneDrive anymore and is certainly not syncing.

It's just a normal folder with some files.

When I try to delete a folder inside this old OneDrive I get an error saying this is not possible???

This folder cannot be deleted because the cloudprovider is not running.

Error 0x8007016A

Do I have to reset again?

I stil need my files in the OneDrive cloud.

I'm afraid of loosing my files.

Is this the "new" OneDrive?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-16T17:29:51+00:00

I get also this error 0x8007016A since the Windows 10 April 2018 update with the files on demand setting. As a workaround I have to switch off file on demand, wait for the restart of OneDrive and then I delete the not fully synced file (only thumbnail but filesize zero). After deletion OneDrive downloads the file again from the cloud. This is definitely a bug!

Image already added

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-25T05:27:18+00:00

    Sure is. I found hundreds in the trash but all messed up and all the folders were empty. I was still at that stage trying to get a response from Micorosoft help via email so didnt delete or move the files as it was going to be a large job (days of sorting them out) and I was hoping the experts could simply reinstate them as they were.

    Now the trash has also bee emptied so I have lost hundreds of files- finding out new ones every day

    I am working mainly on my mac now and using dropbox and icloud

    I am too scared to sue this new pc for anything important and cant be sure OneDrive is switched off and wont reset itself

     No help what-so-ever from Microsoft.

    Thanks for your response but I am too scared to do anything now with this pc. Im going to try and look for alternatives to Office 365 and move all important work to my mac. 

    Do you know if there is a class action happening as I have screen shots of all this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-05T09:13:29+00:00

    I've run into this error code while accessing OneDrive files on a remote computer on my local area network. Not a mapped drive, but a network location. I'm wondering if I'd still get the error if I accessed my other computer via mapped drive... it shouldn't, but the thought occurred to me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-22T03:29:01+00:00

    Ошибка 0х8007016А ? Скачайте новый вариант One Drive Setup.exe. Затем : Параметры-Приложения-найди One Drive и удали его !!! Затем сделай новую установку следуя подсказкам Установщика. Всё !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments