Error 0x8007016A: The Cloud File provider is not running

Anonymous
2018-05-02T20:33:44+00:00

After some problems I reset OneDrive and moved the folder to another location (on another partition).

I pointed OneDrive setting to this new empty folder called OneDrive.

All my files (385GB) are downloading now to this new (empty) OneDrive folder.

I don't want to leave anything just in the cloud on demand.

I don't trust OneDrive anymore.

The downloading (syncing) is very very slow.

While syncing I get the message that there will be 2 copies of the same file created.

The name of the second file has the name of my PC attached.

The OneDrive files are syncing to an empty folder.

How can there be two versions of the same file????

I have to stop the synchronizing before my files get corrupted.

Second problem!

In the old location of the OneDrive folder there is still an "old" folder with all my files.

This folder is not part of OneDrive anymore and is certainly not syncing.

It's just a normal folder with some files.

When I try to delete a folder inside this old OneDrive I get an error saying this is not possible???

This folder cannot be deleted because the cloudprovider is not running.

Error 0x8007016A

Do I have to reset again?

I stil need my files in the OneDrive cloud.

I'm afraid of loosing my files.

Is this the "new" OneDrive?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-16T17:29:51+00:00

I get also this error 0x8007016A since the Windows 10 April 2018 update with the files on demand setting. As a workaround I have to switch off file on demand, wait for the restart of OneDrive and then I delete the not fully synced file (only thumbnail but filesize zero). After deletion OneDrive downloads the file again from the cloud. This is definitely a bug!

Image already added

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-02T23:48:02+00:00

    Hi Eric-Kell,

    When yo reset one drive ill re-sync all files from the cloud so this is a normal behavior.

    So far i understand that you have a duplicate files now. if yes identify the duplicity and remove it.

    Can you go to one drive online to verify if all your file are there?

    If the synchronization is slow it might be your bandwidth because one drive is synchronizing all files at once.

    If you have multiple folders ill suggest to choose folders to sync until you get all you files synced.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-09T16:54:52+00:00

    I have same problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-11T16:16:44+00:00

    OneDrive started off weak and now periodically becomes nearly useless.  I'm having similar syncing issues (again).  This time, I reorganized a OneDrive directory structure, and moved some folders around.  The only way I recognized that the problem has re-occurred is because what I accessed through my "mount point" in the file system reflects the new directory structure, but the OneDrive Desktop App does not, and neither do any of the Microsoft Office Apps - which demonstrates that my "mount point" is no longer functional. Once again, OneDrive has failed silently.

    I say "again" because this has happened before with this and my other desktops or laptops.  BUT - good news!  THERE IS a fix for this, but it's manual.  The failure is silent, and for whatever reason, the fix is NOT included with Windows Update.

    Microsoft is silent about the problem.  Either they don't know about it, or refuse to recognize it.

    To remediate the situation, just download and re-install the OneDrive drivers/"application" on your PC - "OneDriveSetup.exe".  You'll have to search for it on Microsoft.com, and they don't make it easy.  I would have to say this is the best course - you might be able to find it in your "latest versions" folder, but since there seems to be an issue with Windows Update (above), I wouldn't trust it to actually BE the latest version.

    This fixes my syncing problems. but apparently, the "fix" is only good until Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decides to change things up again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-13T18:46:57+00:00

    I have the same problem.

    I cannot access my files, with the error message 0x8007016A.

    I'm not even using onedrive because it has caused me a lot of problems.

    This happened from an update (KB4457128) that was activated yesterday October 12.

    I've tried to undo the update, but when the system is restarted, the update is up again.

    My system is Windows 10 Home 1803 (17134.228)

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments