Error 0x8007016A: The Cloud File provider is not running

Anonymous
2018-05-02T20:33:44+00:00

After some problems I reset OneDrive and moved the folder to another location (on another partition).

I pointed OneDrive setting to this new empty folder called OneDrive.

All my files (385GB) are downloading now to this new (empty) OneDrive folder.

I don't want to leave anything just in the cloud on demand.

I don't trust OneDrive anymore.

The downloading (syncing) is very very slow.

While syncing I get the message that there will be 2 copies of the same file created.

The name of the second file has the name of my PC attached.

The OneDrive files are syncing to an empty folder.

How can there be two versions of the same file????

I have to stop the synchronizing before my files get corrupted.

Second problem!

In the old location of the OneDrive folder there is still an "old" folder with all my files.

This folder is not part of OneDrive anymore and is certainly not syncing.

It's just a normal folder with some files.

When I try to delete a folder inside this old OneDrive I get an error saying this is not possible???

This folder cannot be deleted because the cloudprovider is not running.

Error 0x8007016A

Do I have to reset again?

I stil need my files in the OneDrive cloud.

I'm afraid of loosing my files.

Is this the "new" OneDrive?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-05-16T17:29:51+00:00

I get also this error 0x8007016A since the Windows 10 April 2018 update with the files on demand setting. As a workaround I have to switch off file on demand, wait for the restart of OneDrive and then I delete the not fully synced file (only thumbnail but filesize zero). After deletion OneDrive downloads the file again from the cloud. This is definitely a bug!

Image already added

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-21T09:43:06+00:00

    For those of you who have lost files as I read in this forum in onedrive, all you have to do to get them back, is simply go to the cloud onedrive site, go to the trash folder and you will have all your files sitting there for the next thirty days to be able to restore back to their original locations. It really is that simple. Anyone who looses files in onedrive can do this, even if it's your entire onedrive structure, it's all just sitting there waiting for you to retrieve. And on top of that, if you are using Windows 10, you'll actually receive a notification saying just that, that you have recently deleted a large amount of files from your one-drive, and it will give you the option to restore them by a click of the button. So all you microsoft bashers complaining that you opened your one drive, and there was nothing there, check your action center I'm sure you'll see where microsoft had attempted to inform you of whatever silly thing you had done and is now giving you  a chance to redeem yourself.  

     For those of you who are having issues with the "This folder cannot be deleted because the cloudprovider is not running.Error 0x8007016A" this usually happens when you have a prior onedrive sub folder, then you decide to "begin again" on yet a different hard drive or same drive, different location, or partition  so you actually have a working onedrive folder, and another older onedrive folder from a time gone past. Now when you try to move, remove, copy or delete the older folder, you receive this error. This is what you do. There's a very good chance you are now using the newest version of Onedrive that provides you will a personal vault, and I believe it is this vault that is causing the error. Simply open your vault. It will remain opened by default for about 20 minutes. Once you open the vault, go back to your older copy of onedrive that has been giving you a fit, and delete it, you'll notice by some miracle that it now can be deleted. I've not tried to move the files, but I'm sure if they can be deleted they can also now be moved as well. trying to bring them into the new onedrive folder may still give you a fit, but at least they can now be deleted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-13T13:30:53+00:00

    word files not opening.

    Error code 0x8007016A.  The cloud file provider is not working

    How do I resolve this error?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-07-02T01:55:45+00:00

    Do not trust Onedrive- I opened comp one day and everything gone- One drive doesn't have enough space to hold my ten years of work so deleted the files keeping some from 2015 (dont know why this random year). Id love someone from One drive to let me know if there is a copy somewhere but they only provide email support to One drive so they keep emailing me with info on how to access onedrive and simply will not address the problem- funny that! I have disconnected one drive and only work from my saved files in icloud (been using for years without a problem - far superior)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-07-01T21:41:58+00:00

    I have more or less fixed my problem, in that it hasn’t recurred for several months now. One problem though is that im not certain which one or combination of the things I did actually resolved the issue. 

    First, I deleted everything that had anything to do with OneDrive, including unrelated items. If the INF or log files even had the word OneDrive or even SkyDrive (the old old name) I uninstalled it, deleted it, and cleaned the registry of it. This included iCloud, btw. I detest that not only do Apple and Microsoft not play well together, it appears they take their war onto the battlefield of my PC. A good argument for linux, imo. 

    Next, I think that Microsoft actually has TWO OneDrive sync clients. One is represented by a white cloud icon, the other by a blue cloud icon. Microsoft is very evasive about this, and makes no refrrence to it, as far as I can tell. You want the one with the BLUE cloud icon. It does a much better job of being controllable and actually posting status, at least somewhat accurately.  Plus it doesn’t disappear from the system tray the way the white one always did. I also noticed that the white one was not being updated by updates, and I always had to manually update and re-install it every time it failed, which was every three or four “somethings” (restarts? run days? phases of the moon?)

    I can’t tell you how/where to find the blue one. Just that I combed through the MS archives and happened upon it. I also can’t get it to report a version or build. MS is protecting me from myself again. 

    I also manually set it up. I still have the old  white one, and it has discrepancies between what it reports and what the blue one does. But the blue one agrees more closely with the OneDrive app. 

    And that’s a good point. Every so often, make sure you are comparing your OneDrive contents as reported by all the various access methods, and correct any small issues before they get out of hand. 

    A couple other anomalies I experience are that Microsoft Office 365 frequently complains that I’m not on the Internet and so cannot verify my credentials or obtain access to OneDrive. But of course I am connected, and I notice that the OneDrive sync client does not suffer this same brain deadness. So if I save or open a file locally to or from a directory that is synced, then the sync client handles it for me. 

    A second anomaly is the Microsoft also doesn’t like connections through a VPN. It routinely fails to connect when my VPN is up. That’s a little too big brotherish for me as well. But if you’re running a VPN (and you should be for your own privacy and protection), then you might have to bring it down to access Microsoft services successfully. Another good reason to move away from MS in general.  

    Years ago, I had a MS tool called “synctoy.”  It appears that OneDrive is built from this old technology. Synctoy was a more general version of the sync client Microsoft is using for OneDrive, and it could sync any two or more directories on any two or more computers as long as the proper permissions and connections were in place. But it was buggy - very buggy, which accounts for the use of the name “toy” I guess. Just sayin’ - this is old technology, and Microsoft would be well-advised IMO, to come up with domething new.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments