Windows Media Player Bluetooth controls PLAY/PAUSE no longer working after Windows 10 1803 update

Anonymous
2018-05-16T00:41:28+00:00

Anybody having any issues with Windows Media Player Bluetooth controls not working anymore? I have Bose QC35s and Jaybird X3s. Both sets of earphones can no longer Play/Pause/Fast Forward anymore. I did the update on 3 different PCs. All have the same issue. To make sure that it wasn't driver issue I also tested Groove Music Player and all Bluetooth functions work 100% properly. If I roll back Windows to version 1709 everything works normally. I contacted MS support and also tried following issues below on one of the PCs and its still not working.

  • Deleted all Bluetooth devices in device manager
  • Created another user account
  • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, Sfc /scan now
  • Disabled all non Microsoft services and rebooted

Since this is 3 different PCs (including a Microsoft Surface book) all having the same issue, I think this may be a Windows 10 1803 Bug. Anybody else have any other ideas or can confirm this is a bug. Thanks in advance for any help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

77 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-12-14T21:41:33+00:00

    I updated to 1809 today and can confirm that the problem is fixed in this release. I think this thread should be closed.

    Yes thanks you are correct this problem is now solved with the latest update!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-12-16T18:51:03+00:00

    I think there is a way if the app supports lock screen controls. For example new foobar2000 versions can do this. Otherwise there is no way because there are no media key handlers on lock screen I think.

    Thanks, appreciate the info.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-20T04:08:36+00:00

    I updated to 1809 today and can confirm that the problem is fixed in this release. I think this thread should be closed.

    So glad it is fixed for you, but I updated to 1809 and my Bluetooth device media controls function exactly as before, which is to say the Volume buttons adjust the universal Windows 10 volume, and the Play/Pause /<<</>>> keys do nothing at all in any media player I tried, including WMP.

    CORRECTION: The Play/Pause button activates Cortana in 1809 if I press it just right.

    I've uninstalled Intel Bluetooth, deleting the drivers and let them reinstall & removed and re-added the devices. Nope. Same non-functionality as 1803.

    It's a huge disappointment as I've been waiting (im)patiently since April to get this non-trivial functionality back. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-20T15:54:08+00:00

    I rolled back to 1803 and then repeated the 1809 update via Windows Update Assistant instead of through the Control Panel. Same result. Human Interface Device Service is started.

    I have exactly the same lack of Bluetooth media control functionality in 1809 as in 1803, across 2 devices and 3 players (all that I tried) including Windows Media Player.

    Sadly, this bug is not fixed. Prior to 1803 these devices were working perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-01-20T16:10:55+00:00

    I rolled back to 1803 and then repeated the 1809 update via Windows Update Assistant instead of through the Control Panel. Same result. Human Interface Device Service is started.

    I have exactly the same lack of Bluetooth media control functionality in 1809 as in 1803, across 2 devices and 3 players (all that I tried) including Windows Media Player.

    Sadly, this bug is not fixed. Prior to 1803 these devices were working perfectly.

    What Bluetooth headset or device is it, like what's the actual name.  Have you tried any other headset? And what media player software are you using? (Spotify, media player, etc)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments