how do i COMPLETELY stop my computer from updating!?!?

Anonymous
2018-08-25T20:20:22+00:00

it seems that i am CONSTANTLY being FORCED by microsoft to "update" my computer at their leisure. i never asked for their "updates", i tried turning off all things associated with their "updates", BUT THEY STILL KEEP COMING!  I DONT WANT THEM, I DONT NEED THEM!

they say its for MY security? yeah, thats what ALL dictators say before they commit a mass genocide! i dont need microsoft snooping around in my comupter, because thats all their updates seem to be doing, is allowing them to forcibly access my computer.

if anyone knows of a program to block out microsoft from accessing my computer and forcing "updates" on me, then please share them!

microsoft saying they wont FORCE a new OS on people apparently doesnt include said operating system to be forcibly changed by them at any time, even if it means screwing up whatever you are doing at the time!

there needs to be some kind of action taken against microsoft about this, because it feels like i dont own my computer, but that microsoft does! i cant turn off "windows update medic service". the FACT that microsoft has a so called "service" like this, is enough of an example of how many people dont want their system "updated"!

it wouldnt surprise me if this was taken down because they dont want people to understand that this is worse than apple bricking devices because of a replacement part. if i dont have control over my device being "updated" then it is not my device, but the one who is updating it. that is not what i agreed to when i purchased this computer (not leased, but purchased!), so it is in violation of a purchase agreement and microsoft should be facing a class action lawsuit over this! but because they said they wouldnt do one forcible "update" they are getting away with this!

can anything be done about this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-14T02:56:34+00:00

    LoL  If you find out please let me know

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-14T09:12:01+00:00

    I can assure you that MS will eventually decide that Windows 10 updates will not be free any more. Wrong: Microsoft did not say that updates will cost money. That will end up being a disaster. You should try an in place upgrade. You will not lose files, folders and applications. That is basically fixing any Windows issues without losing anything. Office 2010 is outdated. Please get the latest one. You will not get any support for 2010 there are any issues with it.

    First, office 2010 works just fine.  Second, I haven't seen any evidence of any "support" for any Microsoft software since the late 1990s, in particularly Windows 10.  Why should I spend $400 to replace something that isn't broken?

    I didn't say that Microsoft "had" said updates would cost money, I said that they would eventually start charging for them.  Once they have enough systems on Windows 10 they can do whatever the heck they want.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-14T09:13:47+00:00

    had windows update and module installer disabled in services, and yet it still updated and turned both of them back on automatically!

    i need to know how to KILL windows update medic! anyone know how?

    I'm building a new computer, I've ordered Windows 10 Pro for it which is supposed to allow group policy creation and editing.  I'm hoping it will let me prevent the updates and disable Cortana.  I'll try to let you know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-23T13:16:37+00:00

    i think i FINALLY killed windows update and windows update medic!!!

    i went to the search bar and entered regedit.  then went to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WaaSMedicSvc

    then for ErrorControl, FailureActions, LaunchProtected, ServiceSidType and Start, you right click and where it says 1, enter 4. 4 is the number for disabled in the services while 0 is for start on boot.

    do this-how to kill update medic

    but instead of 0, it needs to be 4 for medic service.

    but if you right click on WaaSMedicSvc on the side bar and go to permissions, there will be an Account Unkown, which im assuming is microsofts access to run this service without the owners permission. so if you check the box to deny that Unknown Account, i dont think they will be able to access it again.

    and for the record, even with my OS already on my SSD, i noticed that with windows update and medic service disabled, it booted up even faster!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-09-23T13:19:00+00:00

    I'll post this link again ---

    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-updates-windows-10-stopupdates10

    I use it.

    It works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments