how do i COMPLETELY stop my computer from updating!?!?

Anonymous
2018-08-25T20:20:22+00:00

it seems that i am CONSTANTLY being FORCED by microsoft to "update" my computer at their leisure. i never asked for their "updates", i tried turning off all things associated with their "updates", BUT THEY STILL KEEP COMING!  I DONT WANT THEM, I DONT NEED THEM!

they say its for MY security? yeah, thats what ALL dictators say before they commit a mass genocide! i dont need microsoft snooping around in my comupter, because thats all their updates seem to be doing, is allowing them to forcibly access my computer.

if anyone knows of a program to block out microsoft from accessing my computer and forcing "updates" on me, then please share them!

microsoft saying they wont FORCE a new OS on people apparently doesnt include said operating system to be forcibly changed by them at any time, even if it means screwing up whatever you are doing at the time!

there needs to be some kind of action taken against microsoft about this, because it feels like i dont own my computer, but that microsoft does! i cant turn off "windows update medic service". the FACT that microsoft has a so called "service" like this, is enough of an example of how many people dont want their system "updated"!

it wouldnt surprise me if this was taken down because they dont want people to understand that this is worse than apple bricking devices because of a replacement part. if i dont have control over my device being "updated" then it is not my device, but the one who is updating it. that is not what i agreed to when i purchased this computer (not leased, but purchased!), so it is in violation of a purchase agreement and microsoft should be facing a class action lawsuit over this! but because they said they wouldnt do one forcible "update" they are getting away with this!

can anything be done about this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-07T21:17:04+00:00

    Maintaining a system partition image was an optional extra in those days. It has now become compulsory.

    I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that assertion. Making daily system images has always been compulsory. All it takes is one wrong keystroke, one unfortunate configuration setting, one bad judgement ... to say nothing about one jolt of static electricity or a hard drive failure ... and your computer becomes nothing more than a paperweight.

    If anything, Windows has become more reliable over the years. Since you've been using Windows as long as I have, you remember the days when the conventional wisdom was to reinstall Windows every year, when plug and play was 'plug and pray,' and "A fatal exception OE has occurred in VXD VFAT(01) ..."

    Since you seem to think that I am a Microsoft supporter, let me disabuse you of that thought. Microsoft is an arrogant, aggressive, self-centered monopoly. Don't think that makes them unique. Neither Apple, nor Google, nor Microsoft give two cr*aps about you and me. But, I don't believe that posts in this forum from people who don't know how to use a computer in the first place (and don't think they need to) are in any way representative.

    Personally, I've found that having a "steady state" operating system works quite well.  The last time I got a blue screen error before Windows 10 was with Windows ME.  The last time I had to reinstall Windows was also Windows ME if I remember correctly.  Windows XP, Vista, and 7 all worked fine for me.  The major complaint I've had for years it the stupid "user account" crap they force us to have on our computers.  That gave IT techs a new "go-to" way to blame the user, "be sure to do it as an Administrator".  Every time I hear that I want to strangle someone.  It would be different if we actually had a decent set of tools to actually configure user accounts.  You can (or used to be able to) get those tools for an extra $100.

    I used to work for a company that had in around 100,000 computer users world wide, it varies between layoffs and hiring.  The last I heard, in 2016 I believe, they were still using Windows XP with no plans to move to Windows 10.  When your system has to be validated you can't have updates come in at random.  I haven't the faintest idea what they will end up doing (or ended up doing), personally, I don't care.

    I completely agree with your assertion that Microsoft and others don't give a crap about us.  No corporation does.  They ONLY do things they believe will increase their profits.  Microsoft has a monopoly so they just do whatever they want to.  I participated in a market study for Windows 8 before it's release.  The results were overwhelmingly negative yet they released on schedule.  Now in fairness I don't recall who ran the market study but it had all the stupid tiles and crap.

    I find the new model of subscription services, data collection on customers, and almost forced use of cloud services quite infuriating.  I'm sure it's profitable but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-07T23:29:20+00:00

    you seem to be misunderstanding me bulldog, its the updates that are CAUSING the issues! get an update in the middle of the night, then oh, why doesnt my sound work anymore? oh, microsoft did an update and now i have to download the correct drivers again because the ones they "updated" to DONT FREAKIN WORK!

    but yeah, thats a "learn how to use your computer issue" isnt it?!

    and just what exactly determines what motherboard you can have to run windows 10? or what cpu? what is specific about any  as far as i know, the only possible issue there could be from a "hardware" compatibility standpoint, is if your gpu does not support the latest version of directX. more often than not, the compatibility issues are from software changes, mainly being microsoft changing the drivers on your working system to ones that they think will work better, but end up bricking your rig. but yeah, i'll just "learn to use my computer better" and the issues will just go away! just what do you deem to be "proficient at using a computer" bulldog?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T00:03:29+00:00

    you seem to be misunderstanding me bulldog, its the updates that are CAUSING the issues! get an update in the middle of the night, then oh, why doesnt my sound work anymore? oh, microsoft did an update and now i have to download the correct drivers again because the ones they "updated" to DONT FREAKIN WORK!

    but yeah, thats a "learn how to use your computer issue" isnt it?!

    and just what exactly determines what motherboard you can have to run windows 10? or what cpu? what is specific about any  as far as i know, the only possible issue there could be from a "hardware" compatibility standpoint, is if your gpu does not support the latest version of directX. more often than not, the compatibility issues are from software changes, mainly being microsoft changing the drivers on your working system to ones that they think will work better, but end up bricking your rig. but yeah, i'll just "learn to use my computer better" and the issues will just go away! just what do you deem to be "proficient at using a computer" bulldog?

    I'm right there with you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-08T02:25:50+00:00

    "you seem to be misunderstanding me bulldog, its the updates that are CAUSING the issues! "

    If the updates are causing the issues, why don't they cause issues for my computer?

    "and just what exactly determines what motherboard you can have to run windows 10? or what cpu? what is specific about any  as far as i know, the only possible issue there could be from a "hardware" compatibility standpoint, is if your gpu does not support the latest version of directX."

    If that's the case, what you know doesn't go very far, I'm afraid.

    There will always be some people who don't 'get it' and don't feel that they should have to get it. After a while, the only thing that the rest of us can do is shake their hand and say best wishes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Paul Chou 1,471 Reputation points
    2018-09-08T02:34:54+00:00

    No worries, I reported you for your crap. MS never forces any apps to be installed. They never know what apps we need.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments