how do i COMPLETELY stop my computer from updating!?!?

Anonymous
2018-08-25T20:20:22+00:00

it seems that i am CONSTANTLY being FORCED by microsoft to "update" my computer at their leisure. i never asked for their "updates", i tried turning off all things associated with their "updates", BUT THEY STILL KEEP COMING!  I DONT WANT THEM, I DONT NEED THEM!

they say its for MY security? yeah, thats what ALL dictators say before they commit a mass genocide! i dont need microsoft snooping around in my comupter, because thats all their updates seem to be doing, is allowing them to forcibly access my computer.

if anyone knows of a program to block out microsoft from accessing my computer and forcing "updates" on me, then please share them!

microsoft saying they wont FORCE a new OS on people apparently doesnt include said operating system to be forcibly changed by them at any time, even if it means screwing up whatever you are doing at the time!

there needs to be some kind of action taken against microsoft about this, because it feels like i dont own my computer, but that microsoft does! i cant turn off "windows update medic service". the FACT that microsoft has a so called "service" like this, is enough of an example of how many people dont want their system "updated"!

it wouldnt surprise me if this was taken down because they dont want people to understand that this is worse than apple bricking devices because of a replacement part. if i dont have control over my device being "updated" then it is not my device, but the one who is updating it. that is not what i agreed to when i purchased this computer (not leased, but purchased!), so it is in violation of a purchase agreement and microsoft should be facing a class action lawsuit over this! but because they said they wouldnt do one forcible "update" they are getting away with this!

can anything be done about this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-07T18:56:44+00:00

    seriously, does ANYONE have a way to stop them from forcing their updates on me?

    I think I got them stopped.

    Click all pictures to make them bigger---

     

     Google the terms in the red squares as I have forgotten exactly what policies I changed.

    Example--- "Disable automatic updates via Group Policy Windows 10"

    Example--- "Set Automatic Update options via Group Policy Windows 10"

    This one seems to be the one to Disable automatic updates---

    In --- Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

    The Exclude drivers policy is explained here---

    https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off-driver-updates-in-windows-update-in-windows-10/

    I also used Winaero Tweaker---

    https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

     

    I'll find out for sure after 9/11/2018--- Patch Tuesday.

    If you have Windows 10 Home or other Home versions you could try this method of enabling Group Policy, at your own risk---

    https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-7-home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-07T19:37:07+00:00

    I have used MS operating systems since the pioneer days of DOS 2.0. Windows for Workgroups - terrible. Windows 95/98 - terrible. Windows NT - basic but solid, and so on. Win10 is probably the most stable Windows operating system ever. 

    I also used to be a staunch Microsoft supporter, much like you. Alas, the perpetual Windows 10 automatic update problems have affected my view. This is a qualitative assessment that is gradually creeping up on me and that I cannot back up with a quantitative analysis. Microsoft might claim that 999 out of 1000 upates go through without a hitch. In my position I often get that 1 out of 1000 PCs. It did not happen under Windows 7. Maintaining a system partition image was an optional extra in those days. It has now become compulsory.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-07T20:13:08+00:00

    I have used MS operating systems since the pioneer days of DOS 2.0. Windows for Workgroups - terrible. Windows 95/98 - terrible. Windows NT - basic but solid, and so on. Win10 is probably the most stable Windows operating system ever. 

    I also used to be a staunch Microsoft supporter, much like you. Alas, the perpetual Windows 10 automatic update problems have affected my view. This is a qualitative assessment that is gradually creeping up on me and that I cannot back up with a quantitative analysis. Microsoft might claim that 999 out of 1000 upates go through without a hitch. In my position I often get that 1 out of 1000 PCs. It did not happen under Windows 7. Maintaining a system partition image was an optional extra in those days. It has now become compulsory.

    Windows 7 was the most stable I've used.  A version I was deprived of in the middle of the night.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-09-07T20:19:55+00:00

    Maintaining a system partition image was an optional extra in those days. It has now become compulsory.

    I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that assertion. Making daily system images has always been compulsory. All it takes is one wrong keystroke, one unfortunate configuration setting, one bad judgement ... to say nothing about one jolt of static electricity or a hard drive failure ... and your computer becomes nothing more than a paperweight.

    If anything, Windows has become more reliable over the years. Since you've been using Windows as long as I have, you remember the days when the conventional wisdom was to reinstall Windows every year, when plug and play was 'plug and pray,' and "A fatal exception OE has occurred in VXD VFAT(01) ..."

    Since you seem to think that I am a Microsoft supporter, let me disabuse you of that thought. Microsoft is an arrogant, aggressive, self-centered monopoly. Don't think that makes them unique. Neither Apple, nor Google, nor Microsoft give two cr*aps about you and me. But, I don't believe that posts in this forum from people who don't know how to use a computer in the first place (and don't think they need to) are in any way representative.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments